L&NE and NYS&W interchange freight

Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

L&NE and NYS&W interchange freight

Postby trainwayne1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Does anyone have an idea of what the interchange patterns were between the Susquehanna and the L&NE at Hainesburg? Did the L&NE deliver coal that went east on the NYS&W? Was any westbound bridge traffic turned over to the L&NE and if so, where was it forwarded too? Thanks in advance for any help.
Hard work is never easy
trainwayne1

Re: L&NE and NYS&W interchange freight

Postby njmidland » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:14 am

I don't have types of interchange, but a L&NE document I have says that 8894 cars were interchanged with the NYS&W at Hainesburg Jct. in 1959. This represented a little over 5% of the L&NE's total interchange that year.

I would be curious to know what if any interchange there was at Sussex before the Hanford Branch was abandoned in 1958.
~Tim Stuy
Purveyor of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel: http://www.phoebesnowco.com
njmidland

Postby Minneapolitan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 am

Here's the bigger question for me: Why didn't the L&NE and the Susquehanna MERGE??

With a deepwater port in New York harbor, the cement plants (and earlier, the anthracite collieries) served by L&NE could ship their product worldwide. Over eighteen miles of the L&NE main was trackage rights over a track that essentially went nowhere on its own. Just consolidate! I've never understood how the original NYS&W ever survived. Their tracks barely went anywhere.
Nickel Plate Road should have merged with ERIE.

Duh.
Minneapolitan

Postby Statkowski » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:32 am

The NYS&W survived because they owned a tunnel in Weehawken, New Jersey that the New York Central's West Shore Line needed.
Ex-NYNH&H SS Opr
Statkowski

Return to Lehigh and New England Railroad