Trackage Rights On The LNE?

Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

Trackage Rights On The LNE?

Postby biker » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:09 pm

Just like the LHR granted trackage rights to the Reading & Pennsy for through freight into NY from PA, did the LNE ever grant trackage rights to another railroad through NJ for any reason?
biker
 

Postby rushhour » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:22 am

Not that I'm aware of. I will say about 35% of the mainline for the L&NE through "Joisey" was on NYS&W trackage (Hainesburg-Swartswood).

Take care
User avatar
rushhour
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Reading Division

Postby NJ Vike » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:17 pm

rushhour wrote:Not that I'm aware of. I will say about 35% of the mainline for the L&NE through "Joisey" was on NYS&W trackage (Hainesburg-Swartswood).

Take care


That's correct. I have some pictures of some remains of this area.

Swarstwood still has the remain of a water tower.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
User avatar
NJ Vike
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:21 am
Location: Sparta, NJ

Re: Trackage Rights On The LNE?

Postby Statkowski » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:02 am

biker wrote:Just like the LHR granted trackage rights to the Reading & Pennsy for through freight into NY from PA, did the LNE ever grant trackage rights to another railroad through NJ for any reason?


The deal with the L&HR was not a case of trackage rights per se, but more a case of working off mileage accrued from the L&HR's use of PRR and CNJ tracks going to and from Bethlehem, Pa.

I'm sure that if the NYS&W wanted, it could have come up with a similar arrangement with the L&NE over their use of NYS&W tracks, but I suppose they found the monetary compensation simpler to deal with. The two roads' traffic patterns were totally different, so it's kind of hard to see how or why the NYS&W would be able to work off any accrued mileage.
Ex-NYNH&H SS Opr
Statkowski
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:44 am
Location: Cherry Tree, Pa.

Re: Trackage Rights On The LNE?

Postby NJ Vike » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:00 am

Statkowski wrote:
biker wrote:Just like the LHR granted trackage rights to the Reading & Pennsy for through freight into NY from PA, did the LNE ever grant trackage rights to another railroad through NJ for any reason?


The deal with the L&HR was not a case of trackage rights per se, but more a case of working off mileage accrued from the L&HR's use of PRR and CNJ tracks going to and from Bethlehem, Pa.

I'm sure that if the NYS&W wanted, it could have come up with a similar arrangement with the L&NE over their use of NYS&W tracks, but I suppose they found the monetary compensation simpler to deal with. The two roads' traffic patterns were totally different, so it's kind of hard to see how or why the NYS&W would be able to work off any accrued mileage.


As far as I know, there was no reciprocation between the NYS&W and L&NE. There might have been a time when the that might of happened prior to 1938 when the NYS&W had a connection with the WB&E in PA but the NYS&W went to Hanford (NJ/NYState line) while the L&NE went to Maybrook.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
User avatar
NJ Vike
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:21 am
Location: Sparta, NJ

Postby rhallock » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:35 pm

There were occasional detour moves of L&HR over L&NE and vice versa in cases where one line was closed by a wreck or flood. The only other thing that might have qualified was soon after the line was built (and before it became L&NE) The line was then the PP&B and was leased and operated by the Philadelphia & Reading Ry. After the Reading went bankrupt, the lines in NJ and NY were operated by NYS&W.
rhallock
 

Postby NJ Vike » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:36 pm

rhallock wrote:There were occasional detour moves of L&HR over L&NE and vice versa in cases where one line was closed by a wreck or flood. The only other thing that might have qualified was soon after the line was built (and before it became L&NE) The line was then the PP&B and was leased and operated by the Philadelphia & Reading Ry. After the Reading went bankrupt, the lines in NJ and NY were operated by NYS&W.


I thought the lines were never built? I remember reading that the L&NE, at least here in NJ thought it was more feasible to just work out a deal with the NYS&W then to lay rail through NJ.

I know the DL&W did put two openings for this line when the cut-off was in the works.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
User avatar
NJ Vike
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:21 am
Location: Sparta, NJ


Return to Lehigh and New England Railroad

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest