New Book on the L&NE??

Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

New Book on the L&NE??

Postby mdamico23 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:24 am

Hi Folks,

Has anyone seen or read the new book on the Lehigh & New England named "Only Yesterday on the L&NE" by Robert Fischer? I saw it advertised on the "Black Diamonds to Tidewater" website and it also seems like Rails 'N' Shafts in PA is carrying it. I am mostly interested in the diesel era of the L&NE from the 1950s until abandonment, so if this book mostly covers this era, I will probably buy it. But, before I fork over $50 for the book, I was wondering if anyone else has read it and if it focuses on this time period. Thanks.

-Mike
mdamico23

Postby NJ Vike » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:16 am

Mike,

Haven't heard or seen this book. Do you have the URL for this site that's selling it?

I just received this book on the L&NE yesterday and just going through it now:

Lehigh and New England Railroad: Color Retrospect -- by Douglas Lilly; Hardcover available at Amazon.com

Ken
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
NJ Vike

Postby NJ Vike » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:17 am

Mike,

Never mind. I found the site.

Ken
NJ Vike

New Book on the L&NE

Postby mdamico23 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:00 pm

Hi Ken,

I got the L&NE: A Color Retrospect book many moons ago from a now- defunct hobby store in Colts Neck, NJ, near where I used to live. I think it is the best illustrative guide that I have seen on the L&NE. Some of the pictures are a little "washed out", but by and large this book is pretty enjoyable. It covers the L&NE from end to end- probably my favorite picture in the whole book is the one where the photographer was standing atop of the DL&W's Paulins Kill viaduct and an A-B-B-A set of L&NE FA's can be seen down below with a coal train.

If I have some extra $$ showing up in the next few weeks, I might try to purchase the new book on the L&NE and if I get it, I will review it.

-Mike
mdamico23

Postby NJ Vike » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:30 pm

Mike,

I was just looking at the book this morning and loved that shot. I really like this book because it covers the areas where I live. In fact, you can walk the trail where the L&NE and the NYS&W ran from Hainesburgh to Swartswood Junction.

Yes, please let me know if you like the other book.

Ken
NJ Vike

Return to Lehigh and New England Railroad