Lehigh Valley to Perth Amboy

Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

Lehigh Valley to Perth Amboy

Postby LBWaveDude » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:57 pm

What was the story with the Lehigh Valley in Perth Amboy? Did they discontinue this when they constructed their own route to Jersey City or was it continued after that?
Elberon Station...w00t!

I live at the beach...

- JB -
LBWaveDude

Re: Lehigh Valley to Perth Amboy

Postby scavenger34 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:19 pm

LBWaveDude,
I don't know the full story but I can tell you that the Perth Amboy branch was pretty active with its own customers into the 1970's. We had a thread going about how that branch served the Camp Kilmer area of Edison via South Plainfield. I'm not sure when the coal dumping operation stopped. Older family members definately remember coal tipping in Perth Amboy so I assume that operation shut down soon after WWII.

Warren
scavenger34

Postby GOLDEN-ARM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Perth Amboy was the second "cash cow" on the line. The chemical industry lasted into Conrail, and there was always three or four jobs working there, to cover the business. Jobs worked at Perth Amboy proper, as well as working out of South Plainfield. Coal fell off with the relocation to the Jersey City waterfront, but freight and chemicals were a steady source of revenue. Once Conrail closed the line, from South Plainfield, the work continued, but from the Chemical Coast or Browns crews. Regards :wink:
GOLDEN-ARM

Location: " SunRail CFRC 100, North at Church Street Station"

Postby NJTram » Wed May 06, 2015 9:11 am

According to the NY Times they operations continued until 1976. The marshalling yards at Perth Amboy on the Arthur KIll have subsequently become a "town home" complex known as Harbortown.
NJTram

Postby NJTram » Wed May 06, 2015 9:12 am

NJTram

Return to Lehigh Valley Railroad