Lehigh Valley Passenger Train Discontinuances

Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

Lehigh Valley Passenger Train Discontinuances

Postby Richard1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 pm

(Note: this is a "work in progress" subject to updating and corrections)
Compiled by Richard F. Palmer
      Lehigh Valley Railroad
Passenger Service Discontinuances

           Train #1, "Philadephia-Buffalo Express" Discontinued by June 25, 1916

Changes to Trains 2 and 3
Jan. 19, 1930 - Train #2, "Philadelphia-New York Express" and #3, "Chicago-Toronto Express" renamed "The Toronto"; through sleepers added, New York to Toronto.
April 23, 1938 -  Discontinued (operated via mainline, Van Etten to Geneva)

         Trains #4, "The Philadelphian" and 11, "Wilkes Barre Night Express"*

Jan. 19, 1930 - No. 4, renamed "The Star"
Sept. 4, 1948 - Diner-club car removed, Bethlehem and Philadelphia on #4.
June 4, 1949 -  Rochester sleeper removed
July 14, 1955  - No. 11 named "The  Major"
July 14, 1955 -  Cafe lounge car removed, Sayre to Buffalo
Oct. 28, 1956 - Sleeper removed, Ithaca to New York
May 11, 1959 - Trains discontinued             
*No. 11 became eastbound "The Star" and Trains #19 and #20, "Wilkes Barre Night Express."

          Trains #5 and #6, originally called "The Cornelian" rename "The Lehigh Limited" by July 25, 1916

Jan. 19, 1930 - Through sleepers added, New York to Toronto
June 26, 1937  - Discontinued (originally via Ithaca, but shifted to Seneca Lake line by April 29, 1928.
                   
     Changes to Trains 7 and 8, "The Maple Leaf" (originally #7, "Chicagoan," and #8,"The New Yorker")
Nov. 29, 1942 -  Train switched from mainline to Ithaca Branch
July 11, 1948 - Dining car off, New York to Lehighton
Sept. 26, 1948 - Train switched from Ithaca Branch to mainline
Jan. 9, 1949 -  Cafe dining car cut back from Buffalo to Lehighton
Sept. 26, 1954 - Roomette cars first advertised,  New York and Philadelphia to Toronto - provided by Canadian National; on occasion sleepers from Pullman pool provided on this train.
May 25, 1959 -  Train switched back to Ithaca Branch after discontinuance of #9 and #10
Feb. 3, 1961 - Trains discontinued
                
Trains #9 and #10, The Black Diamond Express
May 18, 1896 - Train inaugurated. Operated via Seneca Lake mainline, both directions.
Feb. 7, 1903 - Both trains shifted to Ithaca branch.
January 7, 1903 - Temporarily suspended west of Wilkes Barre.
February 8, 1903 - Service restored through to Buffalo
May 14, 1905 - June 28, 1914 - Train 9, main line, Train 10 via Ithaca branch.
Feb. 9, 1908 - Trains discontinued
June 21, 1908 - Trains restored.
Nov. 28, 1915 - The word "Express" dropped.
July 25, 1916 - Sleeping car added, New York/Philadelphia  to Chicago, via Michigan Central.
June 28, 1914 - May 11, 1959 -  Ran both directions via Ithaca.
June 27, 1937 - Sleeping cars discontinued New York/Philadelphia and Chicago.
April 26, 1942 - Observation lounge last listed. Removed by Aug. 2, 1942.
June 23, 1955 - Philadelphia coach cut back to Lehighton, (ran only Mondays, and July 5 and Sept. 2)
July 14, 1955  - Dining car discontinued, Wilkes Barre to Buffalo.
          "                 Cafe lounge car only between Sayre and Buffalo.
Oct. 28, 1956 - Cafe lounge  restored, New York  to Buffalo.
Oct. 28, 1956 - Dining car discontinued, New York to Wilkes Barre.
Parlor car removed between Oct. 26, 1958 and May 11, 1959 when the train was discontinued. Only cafe lounge and one coach (1500 series) remained, besides baggage and RPO.
June 23, 1955 - Philadelphia coach running only as far as Lehighton on Mondays, and July 5 and Sept. 2. 
May 11, 1959  - Train discontinued.
     
           Trains 23 and 24, "The Asa Packer,"   New York to Mauch Chunk
Sept. 28, 1941 - Service cut back to Lehighton.
Jan. 12, 1942 -  Commenced running into Penn Station. 
May 11, 1959 – Discontinued.

Trains 25 and 26 (also "The Asa Packer") Newark - Wilkes Barre

July 14, 1955 - Cut back to Lehighton (cafe lounge and parlor car, New York to Lehighton)
April 26, 1958 - Discontinued

Trains 28 and 29 New York to Wilkes Barre

Train 28 originally "The Wyoming Valley Express" renamed "John Wilkes," June 4, 1939
Train 29 originally "The Wilkes Barre Express"renamed "John Wilkes," June 4, 1939
Feb. 3, 1961 Discontinued


       Lehigh Valley Passenger Service Discontinuances
                              Branchlines

 (Even numbers eastbound - odd numbers westbound. Unless otherwise noted, dates shown are when these trains last appeared in public timetables).

                     State of New Jersey - Lehigh Division

Clinton & Pittstown Branch, Clinton - Pittstown, 2 miles,  two commuter trains not numbered, Sept. 27, 1936.

Perth Amboy Branch,  South Plainfield - Perth Amboy, 8.8 miles Trains 408,410, Feb. 25, 1934; Train 408, April 29, 1934

Flemington Branch, Flemington Junction - Flemington , 1.7 miles 
commuter service, March, 1952

New York City, South Plainfield, 26.5 miles.  Commuter trains 52, 53, discontinued May, 1948.


                          New York State 
                            Buffalo Division

Auburn Branch, Sayre, Pa. to Fair Haven, N.Y., 115.7 miles. 
Trains 281, 284 Sayre to Auburn, discontinued April 30, 1938. Trains 282, 283 last listed to Fair Haven, July 11, 1938.  Trains 282, 283,  Sayre to Auburn, discontinued March 20, 1948.

Auburn and Ithaca Branch,  Auburn to Ithaca, 42.8 miles. Trains 301, 302 Discontinued Aug. 31, 1948. 

Elmira and Cortland Branch, Elmira to Camden, 139.7 miles.  Trains 326, 327, last passenger train to Elmira, discontinued Nov. 25, 1932. These trains discontinued, Elmira to East Ithaca, June 26, 1935.Trains 829, 830, Canastota to Camden, (mixed) Nov. 29, 1933. Trains 879, 880, Canastota to Camden (mixed) August, 1938. Trains 322,323,327 (East Ithaca to DeRuyter) discontinued as first class trains, July 7, 1948 

Ithaca Branch, Geneva to Sayre,  Trains 127, 128. Discontinued Nov. 11, 1949

Naples Branch, Geneva to Naples, 29.4 miles. Trains 131 and 132 replaced by mixed trains 595 and 594 Trains 592, 593,  (formerly gas electric trains 116 and 119) discontinued July 7,  1930. Trains 594, 595 (mixed) April 24, 1938. Gas electrics inaugurated Dec. 1, 1925. 

Rochester Branch,  Rochester Junction to Rochester, 13.2 miles, four round trips. Discontinued  September 6, 1950;  Valley Bus Lines service discontinued January 16, 1957.

Rochester Branch,   Rochester to Hemlock 28.6 miles, Trains  645, 547; 644,646 Discontinued Feb. 2, 1935; Trains   784, 715, 719 and 720, Rochester to Honeoye Falls and Lima, Aug. 9. 1937.   Trains  mixed trains 666,667 discontinued Nov. 26, 1938. These trains were gas electric cars.

Seneca Falls Branch, Seneca Falls to Geneva, 10.5 miles. Trains 603, 605, 602,604. Discontinued 1914. Cayuga to Cayuga Junction, 3.8 miles. Trains 793, 794. April 29, 1929.

Waverly Branch, Sayre-Waverly, N.Y.   2.2 miles  Trains 572, 573, May 29, 1932. 
Trains 570, 571  Sept. 29, 1940.

Willard Branch, Hayts Corners - Willard, 5 miles (Daily) Passenger service last listed Sept. 27, 1936. Trains 587,583,585,581 from Hayt's Corners to Ovid and 580, 584, 582, 586, Ovid to Hayt's Corners. 
 
                     State of Pennsylvania  - Lehigh Division
          
Bear Creek Branch, White Haven - Bear Creek, 12.8 miles Trains 497-498.   January 19, 1930.

Beaver Meadow Branch, Weatherly - Hazleton, 13.4 miles. Trains 232, 237. Nov. 26, 1933.

Bowmans Creek Branch,  (Wyoming Division)  Towanda to Coxton, 66.3 miles. Last regular passenger trains 503, 506, discontinued April 2, 1934.

Easton & Northern Branch, Belfast Junction - Easton, 11.1 miles 
Trains 445, 446.  April 29, 1929.

Freeland Branch, Ashmore - Freeland,  5.2 miles. Trains 241, 243; 242,244 April 28, 1940;  mentions mixed service until Nov. 1, 1942. 

Highland Branch, Ashmore - Sandy Junction, 8.7 miles.
Trains 250, 216, 244, 240; 239, 241, 245, 249  May 8, 1927.

Montrose Branch, Tunkhannock - Montrose, 27 miles.Trains 560, 561 discontinued Sept. 29, 1940.

Pottsville Branch, Andreas - Pottsville, 20.1 miles.Trains 495, 496 (mixed),  Feb. 20, 1939.

Sheppton Branch, Hazelton - Sheppton, 11.4 miles Trains 181-184. June 1, 1930.

Tomhicken Branch, Tomhicken - Hazleton Junction, 10.4 miles. Pennsylvania RR Trains 191, 193, 184,186. Feb. 20, 1939.

There was once a Lehigh Valley train that originated in Phillipsburg, N.J. called the "Lehigh - Pennsylvania Express." It took sort of round-about routing. The train was inaugurated in April, 1916 and operated until July 16, 1938. Public timetables show it as Train #510 eastbound and #509 westbound,  leaving Phillipsburg at 7:50 a.m. and arriving in Pittsburgh at 7:55 p.m. Returning it left Pittsburgh at 7:17 a.m. and arrived in Phillipsburg at 7:30 p.m. It carried a drawing room parlor car, broiler buffet service and coaches. It passed through Weatherly, Hazleton, Mahanoy City, Shenandoah, and was turned over to the Pennsy at Mt. Carmel, passing through Shamokin, Sunbury, Northumberland, Milton, Williamsport; then west through Jersey Shore, Lock Haven, Bellefonte, Tyrone and Altoona; then on the main line to Pittsburgh.  The distance was 398.3 miles via this route. Eastbound Train #510 ran the same route and was called the "Pennsylvania - Lehigh Express."  It was a daily round trip.
  One source states this train was inaugurated in April, 1916 at the behest of Charles M. Schwab of Bethlehem Steel for steel executives "commuting" to Pittsburgh. The parlor car was cut back to Sunbury on Nov. 1, 1931. The train itself terminated at Mt. Carmel on April 24, 1932. Easton became its terminus on Sept. 29, 1935.                    
Richard1
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: Lehigh Valley Passenger Train Discontinuances

Postby scottychaos » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 am

Wow, thats a ton of great information..thanks Richard!
Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages
User avatar
scottychaos
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:18 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Lehigh Valley Passenger Train Discontinuances

Postby Bethlehem Jct. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:46 pm

I don't have access to any employee time tables from the LV. However, In the January 1930 Official Guide, passenger service on the Easton & Northern branch is still listed, which puts it past the dates given by Richard1. I mentioned this in another thread about the E&N branch: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=59052#p637503
No train numbers are given. In fact, it was an easy table to miss because it's written out how I typed it in the above link. It's just 2 or 3 lines squeezed under another table. I always assumed those trains were 2nd Class/mixed. Were the discontinued trains 445 and 446 1st class?
Bethlehem Jct.
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Tempe, AZ

Re: Lehigh Valley Passenger Train Discontinuances

Postby frank754 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Great work, Richard, and I've been doing a series on Wilkes-Barre area railroads this spring and summer, which you can find here: http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/maps/index.html
(so far with 15 new sections and about 550 new photos, maps, aerial views & history).
Regarding your info:
Bowmans Creek Branch, (Wyoming Division) Towanda to Coxton, 66.3 miles. Last regular passenger trains 503, 506, discontinued April 2, 1934.

It's interesting to note that:
The Port Bowkley Bridge was constructed across the Susquehanna River from Port Bowkley
to Forty-Fort in 1890-91. It was opened to rail traffic on November 11, 1891.
The final segment between Noxen and Bean Run was finished in the summer of 1892, to complete
the entire line from Wilkes-Barre to Towanda, but with disagreements, the first through train
operated as an excursion on June 24, 1893. (79 miles)
By the mid-1920s, there was little passenger traffic on the Bowman’s Creek Branch.
The twice daily passenger trains were reduced to one train each way daily on December 19, 1928.
Employee Timetable #1, in effect April 24, 1932, has the bridge in service with trains 503 (westbound)
and 506 (eastbound) using it (Port Bowkley Bridge). Employee Timetable # 3 , in effect September 25, 1932,
does not list Port Bowkley and has both trains using the West Pittston Branch. This was not a temporary
closing as all of the subsequent Employee Timetables omit Port Bowkley.
This information tends to support the story that it was taken out of service quickly, probably due to mine subsidence.
November 3, 1937, article in the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader:
The railroad suspended rail service over the bridge four years ago and closed it to foot traffic last year.
In a subsequent article in the Wilkes-Barre Record on January 26, 1938 the process of removal is described:
Demolition of the lengthy steel (?) structure was begun late last year and one span was dropped into the river.(etc.)
In 1948, the Interstate Commerce Commission permitted the Lehigh Valley Railroad to close traffic above Noxen,
in 1963 from Dallas to Noxen, and Dallas to Luzerne in September 1963. On Sunday, December 22, 1963,
at 12:01 a.m., the Lehigh Valley Railroad formally abandoned the Bowman’s Creek Branch from Luzerne to Dallas.
Currently this section is a rail trail: It starts at Union & Buckingham in Luzerne - 4.5 mile trail.
Lower portion from Luzerne to east of Wyoming Ave ("Conrail West Side Connector") - still there in April 1983.

So basically, for the two final years, the Bowman's Creek branch trains were routed via Coxton, a much longer and roundabout way.
User avatar
frank754
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:58 am
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA formerly New Jersey


Return to Lehigh Valley Railroad

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest