RDG Stony Creek Branch

Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

RDG Stony Creek Branch

Postby John Johnstone » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 am

Does anyone know the last time passenger trains ran on the Stony Creek Branch and what the stops were? Thanks
John Johnstone

Re: Stony Creek Branch

Postby theWatusi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Not sure of when passenger service stopped, by I have an 1887 timetable that lists the following stations:

Norristown
Marshall St
Hospital
Hartranft
Custer
Belfry
Acorn
West Point
Kneedler
Lansdale

Travel time between Norristown/Lansdale 25-30 mins.
theWatusi

Postby Nacho66 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:09 am

I have a Montgomery County street atlas that lists Belfry as an active station. This is where the branch crosses Rt. 73.
Also, back in the early '70's Belfry had a siding where one or two boxcars would always be sitting. Back then this area was still very rural.
Does anyone know how active this line is currently?
When they first re-opened it I used to see trains fairly frequently.
Nacho66

Postby scotty269 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Nacho66 wrote:I have a Montgomery County street atlas that lists Belfry as an active station. This is where the branch crosses Rt. 73.
Also, back in the early '70's Belfry had a siding where one or two boxcars would always be sitting. Back then this area was still very rural.
Does anyone know how active this line is currently?
When they first re-opened it I used to see trains fairly frequently.

B738 (I believe?) is the usual job between South Philly and Lansdale via NS Harrisburg Line and Stony Creek Branch.
scotty269

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:00 pm

B738 (I believe?) is the usual job between South Philly and Lansdale via NS Harrisburg Line and Stony Creek Branch.[/quote]
There isnt a regular job on the Stony Creek. Conrail rebuilt the line in the 90's to avoid the Septa Main but for whatever reason that fell out of favor, in favor of Septa's Main Line again. I will say that the past few years, Septa's train dispatchers expedite the freights better then they have in years past. The only real reason that the Stony Creek branch is used is for high and wide loads, or if a car needs to be wyed, unless the wye is usable again at Lansdale?
BuddSilverliner269

Postby delvyrails » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Aside from some detouring and special passenger trains, I believe that the last (steam-powered) commuter train operated in 1936, a few years after electrification of the Norristown Branch.
John Pawson
delvyrails

Postby glennk419 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:59 pm

The wye at Lansdale is back in service. They've had to use it this week while the Bethlehem Running and Industrial tracks are torn up for remediation of the recent fuel spill. The last passenger trains of any type to run those rails were a couple specials utilizing Septa Bomber cars and the RL1's back in the mid-90's shortly after the line was rebuilt.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby StephenJohnson » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:15 pm

So, is it the opinion of many that this line will eventually be abandoned again, as the issue for reactivation in the first place has been remedied (other than high / wide)?
StephenJohnson

Postby glennk419 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

I don't think it will be abandoned any time soon. CSX uses the branch not only for the movement of Hi-Cube boxcars but also as the daytime return route for C746 / B738 Greenwich yard in South Philly when the train outlaws overnight, which happens somewhat frequently. The bridge over Sumneytown Pike in West Point is about to be replaced and the line could figure prominently in restoration of passenger service between Quakertwon and Lansdale / Norristown, including a possible station at Merck.
Glenn
glennk419

Re: RDG Stony Creek Branch

Postby belfry » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:04 pm

To go on a little more about Belfry besides the team track there was a private siding going into the Anchor Wallpaper Company.
belfry

Return to Reading Company