King Coal Consist

Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

King Coal Consist

Postby KillerB » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:52 pm

What years did the King Coal run from Shamokin to Philadelphia, and what would have been its usual consist? I've heard that, at least at some point, it used streamlined equipment.
KillerB
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:27 am

Re: King Coal Consist

Postby CarterB » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:21 am

According to: www.northeast.railfan.net/rbmn_history.html

"Strangely enough, true first-class passenger service would not arrive until 1948. That year, the Reading Company introduced the streamlined, air-conditioned Schuylkill and King Coal "

also see: http://www.explorepahistory.com/display ... imgId=1714

" In Shamokin, the two Railroad Stations were only one block apart and the tracks were within several yards of each Passenger service on this line continued until Friday, June 28, 1963, when No. 863, the "King Coal" made the final run of her daily passenger service between Shamokin and Philadelphia."

see also; http://www.pennvalleypictures.com/reading_glory.html

Not sure if the cars were new, a la the Crusader, or just 're-do's" heavyweight steel cars from 1925 era.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
User avatar
CarterB
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:19 am
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey

Re: King Coal Consist

Postby metman499 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 pm

The cars were upgrades of older equipment, bigger windows, AC, and more skirting to provide a more modern appearance. They also received the 2 tone green paint with the lighter shade on the window band
Nick
Moderator for the CNJ, Reading and GVT forums
User avatar
metman499
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Lancaster/Cranford

Re: King Coal Consist

Postby JJSmith » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 am

The King Coal standard consist was as follows:

(4) "Blimp Cars" or modernized coaches with skirting. Cars like these were also used on the Schuylkill and Wall Street.

http://www.danbury.org/drm/images/96-01-20/2014.jpg


(1) cafe-parlor car 1189 named King Coal later used on the Crusader and renamed Crusader.

http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/RDG118 ... 7-4D63.jpg


(1) standard Reading RPO

http://www.bethlehemcarworks.com/Produc ... 6_full.jpg


(1) combine upgraded with air conditioning

http://forums.railfan.net/Images/Readin ... b408-3.jpg


Photos show that baggage cars and standard coaches were also found in the consist from time to time. Also, the consist was smaller between Pottsville and Shamokin. In fact, the westward King Coal split apart at Port Clinton with one part going up the mainline to Pottsville and the rest traversing the Little Schuylkill Branch to Tamaqua and Shamokin. The eastward King Coal travelled over the Sckuylkill Valley Branch between Tamaqua and Pottsville combining the train again at Pottsville.
JJSmith
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:53 pm


Return to Reading Company

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests