Gardner Branch

Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.
Official web-site: http://www.pwrr.com/

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Gardner Branch

Postby jaymac » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:54 am

by CPF363 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:40 pm
Wonder if PAR will look for this same kind of finding to rebuild the Worcester Route from West Boylston to Clinton considering it crosses the Wachusett Reservoir and run in close proximity other parts of the reservoir on the Clinton stretch.

It's been a bit since I've seen a train in the Oakdale area, and I've never seen a speedo, but it does look like CWR is already in place around Oakdale. Tie condition is another matter.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby jmar896 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 am

A couple of trains go through a week. Mostly early in the morning (around 6) and late at night (around 12). Continuously welded rail is in place through West Boylston to my knowledge, but it changes shortly after. However, overall the track is still in pretty poor condition.
jmar896

Postby jaymac » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:05 pm

by jmar896 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 am
...A couple of trains go through a week....

SEPO/POSE are dailies, FI and/or AY locals service St. Gobain, and PWBO/BOPW has run as lime is needed at Bow.
jaymac

Postby RJDC85 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Grants announced yesterday on the FRA's website included one for the P&W:

Providence and Worcester Railroad Co. – Mass.
$2.37 million to rehabilitate 12 miles of century-old rail to improve track conditions substantially with new continuous welded rail and ties along Providence and Worcester Railroad Company’s Gardner Branch rail line in central Massachusetts.
RJDC85

Postby b&m 1566 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:41 pm

QB 52.32 wrote:spur into the Holden Industrial Park.

What did this spur serve? It ends about 50ft or so past the Woodmeister's driveway.
b&m 1566

Postby NashuaActon&Boston » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:58 pm

When is best to witness trains on the P&W Gardner branch? It's the closest line to me that I've never explored. Any significant weekend action?
NashuaActon&Boston

Postby johnpbarlow » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:44 am

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:When is best to witness trains on the P&W Gardner branch? It's the closest line to me that I've never explored. Any significant weekend action?

P&W typically runs WOGR/GRWO turn from Worcester in the middle of the day most days - I'm guessing Sunday through Thursday. Trains can be lengthy and move at better than Pan Am speeds (ie, 25+mph).
johnpbarlow

Postby jaymac » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am

Keeping an ear open for PAS District 3 to give the PW permission into the yard will give mebbe a half-hour's notice of arrival. Depending on the amount of business from and to Worcester, things can be quick or slow, especially if the PW inspector has determined that 1 car or more for Worcester will need to be set out for work first. If there is a PAS crew in the yard for racks and/or general, there can be coordination and joint effort or not. Sometimes PW will have its power coupled together and other times on each end of the train. When they're set to head for Worcester, the crew will radio their dispatcher.
jaymac

Previous

Return to Providence and Worcester Railroad