CEFX Leasers?

Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.
Official web-site: http://www.pwrr.com/

Moderator: MEC407

CEFX Leasers?

Postby FL9AC » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Caught CHFP in SoNo last night with one of their usual SD60 leasers on the head end with a six-axle CEFX leaser behind that and a GE-B boat trailing. What are these CEFX leasers showing up?
FL9AC

Re: CEFX Leasers?

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 pm

hmm the 6 axle units are restricted on MN, they exceed the max load per axle on Metro-North.
someone is playing loose with rules again.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby MNR's #1 Conductor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:06 pm

It appears PW has been leasing SD40-2s. I caught CEFX 3164 on a recent FPCH I video recorded at Rye. I believe they leased 2 others as well.

And contrary to what some here say, they would not have been allowed on MNR territory if their operations here would cause problems.
Railroading is not a career, it's a lifestyle! Railroading........what other life would I wanna live? :-)
MNR's #1 Conductor

Postby MNR's #1 Conductor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:21 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:hmm the 6 axle units are restricted on MN, they exceed the max load per axle on Metro-North.
someone is playing loose with rules again.

Guess it's been going on for a long time, because those 6 axles come often, and have been doing so for some time. And I thought the GATX units were OKed by MNR? ??
Railroading is not a career, it's a lifestyle! Railroading........what other life would I wanna live? :-)
MNR's #1 Conductor

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Entire new haven division is limited to 289 000 lbs, the 6 axle units are around 356 000 lbs.
one of reasons the SD40 we used on plow train was restricted to 5 mph.
only place were 6 axle power was tolerated was Derby to New Haven during Gonerail days.
currently CSX can only run 6 axle units on Hudson line, and only certain class like SD40 and or SD60.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Return to Providence and Worcester Railroad