The End of Coal - Wall Street Journal

For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

Re: The End of Coal - Wall Street Journal

Postby MCL1981 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:04 pm

eustis22 wrote:"pretend to care"???

Then why pay to subsidize the capture of the solar panel market? Seems an expensive pretense.

Because they want the manufacturing and sales, to then sell it to suckers who think it's the future of electrical generation...
MCL1981

Postby eustis22 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 pm

and its not?
eustis22

Postby MCL1981 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 pm

No, it's not. Unless you have a new method to eliminate pesky things like sunset and clouds. Solar cannot and never will have the capacity to replace primary power generation stations that currently run on coal, gas, oil, and uranium. You couldn't even use it to black start a real power plant. It has its appropriate use cases. Primary power generation just isn't one of them.
MCL1981

Postby rr503 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Many companies are building grids that are able to draw power from geographically disparate areas, obviating that issue. The construction of a national grid even made its way into some speeches by both candidates last year. Never say never.
rr503

Postby David Benton » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:05 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -you-think
Bloomberg article on the future costs of different energy sources,
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby MCL1981 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 am

Solar power generation coming down in cost is wonderful. But that doesn't mean it magically goes up in capacity too. The MWH limits of solar is still very very low compared to fossil fuel, and trivial compared to nuclear. And averaged out over the course of a year, they only produce usable energy 30-50% of the time. The rest is cloudy days, and that pesky sunset thing. The article even says a good portion of coal's decline will be due to cheaper, more efficient, and higher capacity gas and oil fired plants. Solar hype as far as I'm concerned is a political joke. It has it's appropriate use cases. Primary power generation isn't one of them. But most people believe whatever an activist tells them they should believe.

rr503 wrote:Many companies are building grids that are able to draw power from geographically disparate areas, obviating that issue. The construction of a national grid even made its way into some speeches by both candidates last year. Never say never.

The sun still sets. And pulling power from somewhere the sun hasn't set just makes less power available over there. The capacity simply isn't there no how you try to spin it.
MCL1981

Postby rr503 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm

MCL1981 wrote:The sun still sets. And pulling power from somewhere the sun hasn't set just makes less power available over there. The capacity simply isn't there no how you try to spin it.

...Unless you design excess 'flex' capacity. I'm not some tree hugger, but the age of coal is over. Sorry, railfans.

Continuing the above argument, I'd read this.
rr503

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:04 pm

rr503 wrote:...., but the age of coal is over. Sorry, railfans.

It goes a little further than that, Mr. RR. Try any stakeholder - employee, investor, and yes, railfans.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby MCL1981 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm not blindly defending coal either. That's not my point. Coal is eventually going to be over and done with no matter what. Oil and gas will be what does them in though. Not solar or wind.
MCL1981

Previous

Return to General Class I and II Discussion