Railroads - "Smelling Like A Rose"

For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

Railroads - "Smelling Like A Rose"

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Today's Wall Street Journal reports that, predictably, the American Society of Civil Engineers gives the state of US infrastructure a "D+".

But wait!!! Railroads got a "B":

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-infrast ... 1489069827

Fair Use:

..The only infrastructure sector to receive a B in this year’s report was rail, where private freight companies have invested heavily—$27.1 billion in 2015—to improve service. Rail received a C+ grade in 2013. No sector in either year received an A grade
Gilbert B Norman

Re: Railroads - "Smelling Like A Rose"

Postby Engineer Spike » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 pm

This makes me think back to an old B&M ad. It mentioned how the company paid real taxes on its private right of ways. They have no political back door deals, no money diverted to a pork program, no shoddy low bid contractors, and many other factors, which result in our deteriorating roads.

Our bridges have their build dates on them. It is amazing that many are over 100 years old, and are not speed restricted, even with 286K cars. Full speed, even with full unit trains.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Return to General Class I and II Discussion