New Right Of Way

For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

New Right Of Way

Postby EuroStar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:26 am

I have been wondering when was the last time a Class I laid 5 miles or more on completely new right of way that had not hosted rail tracks ever before? I am aware of much double tracking where a second track was added or relaid after decades of not being there, but how about completely new right of way? The 5 miles number is arbitrary, but I want to exclude minor extensions of which there are probably plenty. In the public transportation space the only one that I am aware of to has laid 5 miles of rail where no track has been ever before is Denver.
EuroStar

Re: New Right Of Way

Postby rr503 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:59 am

Probably the lines into the PRB in WY, or the Mt Macdonald tunnel in BC.
I could be wrong though...
rr503

Postby EuroStar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:16 am

Wow, that is more than I would have expected...but even then both of these are in the middle of nowhere. Not surprising as the NIMBYs have gotten better over time so anything even in rural areas has no chance.
EuroStar

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Another recent heavy (FRA jurisdiction) rail project is the Point Defiance bypass, which begins and ends on BNSF track but is a Washington State project designed to help Sounder and Amtrak trains.
mtuandrew

Postby YamaOfParadise » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 pm

EuroStar wrote:Wow, that is more than I would have expected...but even then both of these are in the middle of nowhere. Not surprising as the NIMBYs have gotten better over time so anything even in rural areas has no chance.

It's significantly more than just that: the amount of land developed is significantly up, and as extension, it's much more expensive. That's something that makes it unattractive even before you take into consideration of NIMBYism.
Consider contributing detailed railway data to OpenStreetMap for use in OpenRailwayMap!
YamaOfParadise

Postby The EGE » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:23 pm

mtuandrew wrote:Another recent heavy (FRA jurisdiction) rail project is the Point Defiance bypass, which begins and ends on BNSF track but is a Washington State project designed to help Sounder and Amtrak trains.

I believe that's all on existing ROW, though.
The EGE

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Yeah, all public or private ROW, mostly highway ROW - perhaps some is ex-MILW?
mtuandrew

Postby The EGE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Ex-NP, actually. But as far as I can tell, all of its was active freight ROW before this project.
The EGE

Return to General Class I and II Discussion