Need some Arkansas and Missouri advice

Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.

Need some Arkansas and Missouri advice

Postby march hare » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Just found out that I have an opportunity next month to railfan the A&M for the first time in about 10 years, and need some advice from people with more up to date info.

1) Is the operating pattern still a Springdale-Van Buren round trip during the day, and an overnight round trip up to Monett? Any clues as to crew call times and likely departure times?

2) What is the power mix these days? Last time I was there it was an all C420 operation, but I understand that's not true any more. Are any of the 6-axle units in regular service?

3) How many local crews are dispatched on an average day?

Thanks much, and let me know if you need advice on railfanning upstate NY some time.
march hare

Re: Need some Arkansas and Missouri advice

Postby Noel Weaver » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 pm

march hare wrote:Just found out that I have an opportunity next month to railfan the A&M for the first time in about 10 years, and need some advice from people with more up to date info.

1) Is the operating pattern still a Springdale-Van Buren round trip during the day, and an overnight round trip up to Monett? Any clues as to crew call times and likely departure times?

2) What is the power mix these days? Last time I was there it was an all C420 operation, but I understand that's not true any more. Are any of the 6-axle units in regular service?

3) How many local crews are dispatched on an average day?

Thanks much, and let me know if you need advice on railfanning upstate NY some time.

I am not sure that this could be considered Southeast, Arkansas and Missouri are both states west of the Mississippi and in
the central time zone as well.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Good Day:

I'd suggest trying a few Frisco links given the heritage of the line. I recently joined on message board and found the members welcoming and friendly. Maybe they can steer you in a better direction. Railroadradio.net also has a link for BNSF/UP Ozark Region.

http://www.frisco.org

http://condrenrails.com/frisco.html

http://www.railroadradio.net

I hope I may have given you a few helpful suggestions.
SnoozerZ49

Postby train2 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:53 am

I just saw this so I may not have posted before your trip. About 1 year ago it was north in the AM, south in the PM.

Please let me know what you find now a year latter. I would like to more up to date info.

Also, the A&M was playing silly with info when we were there. We walked into the office and they told us they could not tell us ANYthing. Including info about the train we could see out the window switching getting ready to leave. I asked for someone higher and they directed me to another office, but the train appeared to be ready to leave so we wanted to take the time to get out of the congestion of town and chose to scout locations with the time. I did not end up going to higher ups office.

Get this: a Class one nearby gave us info when A&M would not.

T2
train2

Postby bk77 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Greetings. Not sure if anyone reads this here list anymore, but I got some questions as I'll be heading down to the A&M next week. Anyone know what the current operating patterns are for the Monett or Fort Smith turns (running day or night)? Radio frequencies?? It'll be my first time there so any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

---Bill
bk77

Return to Southeastern Railfan