Georgian, Dixie Flagler, Dixieland

Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.

Georgian, Dixie Flagler, Dixieland

Postby bill haithcoat » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:01 am

Those were my favorite trains, growing up on what was first NC&STL and later taken over by L&N. The Dixie Flagler was re-equipped and re-named the Dixieland in Dec. 1954.

Anybody have any memories, trip reports, consist info, etc,. from these beautiful streamliners way back then? Would love to hear any stories you might have.
bill haithcoat

Georgain, Dixie Flagler, Dixieland

Postby eddiebear » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:11 pm

Find a copy of Wayner's CAR NAMES, CAR NUMBER AND CONSISTS. This covers the Streamliner era up until Amtrak. It is arranged by railroads in general but also by feature services (Example: PRR had its own fleet of East-West trains so their equipment is listed under PRR. But PRR also participated in North-South services so equipment for SAL and ACL Florida trains and Atlanta-New Orleans SOU trains are listed there, even though the PRR owned some of the cars.) The book gives car names, styles, reconfigurations and rebuildings, builders, dates and original owners. If cars were sold in pre-Amtrak days, they are listed under the buyer, not the seller.
The Dixie Route is covered and you can also compare to the competition, the SOUTH WIND, ROYAL PALM and CITY of MIAMI routes from the Midwest.
I have some train brochures for the GEORGIAN both for the short time it originated in St. Louis as a day train to Atlanta and the long-lasting through train from Chicago. They aren't for sale yet...but I'm doing my best to get to Gaithersburg, MD this Nov.
eddiebear

Georgian,Dixie Flagler, Dixieland

Postby bill haithcoat » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:25 pm

Thanks, eddiebear, but I do have that book and several others like it. What I am interested in are details such books do not go into, such as, the 10 coaches built by C&EI in 1953, what trains did they go to? The Dixie Flagler? Perhaps the Humming Bird(Chicago section)?

Also there was a coffee shop lounge which ran on the Dixie Flagler for about three winter seasons (1951, 1952 and 1953) I cannot find it, unless it is the lunch counter lounge, rebuilt from Turkey Run in 1952? But then,a coffee shop lounge also ran in winter 1951. What was it? Perhaps one of thse restaurant lounges bought from Maine Central? Anybody REALLY know?
bill haithcoat

Postby CarterB » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:42 pm

Wasn't there also a C&EI coffee shop/lounge that operated on the Cardinal or Meadowlark, and was refurbed to run on the Dixie route/s?
CarterB

dixie flagler, georgian, dixieland

Postby bill haithcoat » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:57 pm

That is precisely the question, what I have been trying to find out. Do you know FOR SURE about that? You would be referring to Turkey Run, which ran on the Meadowlark, I am thinking it would have served the last two years on the Dixie Flagler ( i.e. Dec. 52- through April 53, Dec. 53 through April '54) But I can't get anybody to say for sure....can you do so?

But re-read my post, you will note that that car, turkey run, was refurbished in Nov. 1952....which would have served two winter seasons. But then, what car was used from Dec. 51 through Sept. 52?
bill haithcoat

Postby CarterB » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:09 pm

Train #11, "The Meadowlark" ran from Chicago to Cypress with streamlined coaches from Chicago to Cypress, grill-lounge car from Chicago to Cypress.

Whipporwill Baggage/Tavern/38 seat coach #304 Turkey Run, 60 seat chair cars #460-463 Trail series, 36 seat Dining Car #505 Shakamak Inn, Parlor/Observation #702 Chicagoland.

Not much other info that I know about at the moment. Although some of the C&EI cars ended up on the MoPac and some on the L&N.
CarterB

georgian , dixie flagler, dixieland

Postby bill haithcoat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Carter B---

Man, you gave me hope with your first response. You asked (paraphrasing) "Wasn't there a coffee shop lounge, etc etc that was later assigned to the Dixie routes? That suggested that you had independent knowledge of such.(not available in the standard books, Waynor, W. David Randall, etc)

See......I have all the equipment lists, consists, etc that everybody else has. But NONE of them answer this question for me. (NOTE:, yes I see the turkey run was on the Whippoorwhill, not the Meadowlark---no problem).

I just need for SOMEBODY to tell me, really tell me, that they knew for sure what cars ran in this service. The standard equipment books do not mention any such assignment.

I have looked in the news blurb sections of TRAINS for all the years involved and find no mention of it. Again, my question is-----does ANYBODY know for sure if Turkey Run ran as the Dixie Flagler coffee shop lounge? And, what car ran as such in the winter 1951-52 season, as Turkey Run had not yet been rebuilt into a lunch counter lounge.

Likewise, my other question, to which trains were the ten streamlined coaches assigned which were built in 1953? No equipment book gives that info. Anybody can GUESS anything, but I would like to know if anybody actually KNOWS.
bill haithcoat

Postby CarterB » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:26 pm

Bill,
My recollections are only from when I lived in Tuscola, Ill in the 50's.

Perhaps the folks at djcnrhs@prairienet.org (Danville Jct Chapter NRHS may be of help?
CarterB

Postby william powers » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:25 pm

why dont you write to mr charles b castner c/o the louisville and nashville historical society re your consist assignment question.. mr castner was the public relations guy at L&N for most of his career.. He is well published would seem to be the fellow most likely to be able to answer your question.
william powers

Return to Southeastern Railfan