Jacksonville, Gainesville & Gulf Railway

Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.

Jacksonville, Gainesville & Gulf Railway

Postby ACLfan » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:27 am

Does anyone have any information about this little railroad, such as timetables, photographs, equipment and depots, etc.?

ACLfan
ACLfan

Re: Jacksonville, Gainesville & Gulf Railway

Postby salminkarkku » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:13 am

It was a Gailnesville enterprise, and advertised itself as the "Fruit & Vegetable Route of Florida". It had three re-organisations:

Gainesville, Rocky Point & Micanopy, 1894-5.
Gainesville & Gulf, 1895-1907.
Tampa & Jacksonville, 1907-27.
Jacksonville, Gainesville & Gulf, 1927-44 when abandoned.

Its dream was to be a "Southern" main line in competition with the ACL and SAL, but became a subsidiary of the latter after 1927.
Passenger stops: Emathia, Melton, Cara, Fairfield, Fort Drane, Irvine, Dungarvin, Southside, Hickman, Micanopy (own station), Tacoma, Kirkwood, Clyatt's, Lisman, Wacahoota, Rocky Point, Cannon's, Gainesville (own station), ACL Crossing, Ellithorpe, Bellamy, Cyril, Louise, Graham, Sampson City (GSF station).
salminkarkku

Postby Ocala Mike » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:32 pm

I live in Emathla (served by Ocala Post Office), which is really nothing more than a signpost near the intersection of State Road 326 and County Road 225. Nothing but horse farms, and a world-class scuba-diving cave that takes about one life a
year. I'm amazed that there was ever a railroad here, let alone a terminal of sorts, though I had read about the
JG&G in history books of Marion County. I too would be interested in any old photos, timetables, maps, etc. that
would help me place where the Emathla station might have been located.
Ocala Mike (formerly Hillside Mike and Deer Park Mike)
Ocala Mike

Postby NE2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 am

Portions of the line are visible on topo maps. It's likely that the line followed CR 225 into Emathla. As for the station's location, your best bet is to look through county records.
NE2

Return to Southeastern Railfan