What If the Norfolk & Western Hadn't Merged?

Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).

What If the Norfolk & Western Hadn't Merged?

Postby ThePointyHairedBoss » Thu May 08, 2008 9:24 pm

This is just an Idea I had. What if the CSX merger had been called off, so therefore the N&W and Southern would have never tried to merge? What would the N&W be like today? Would they have broken up Conrail with Chessie? What sort of motive power would they have?(I'm guessing standard cabbed SD70's, and SD70M-2's) Just what would they have been like?

P.S. None of the other Mega-Mergers happened too
ThePointyHairedBoss

Postby uhaul » Sun May 18, 2008 5:00 pm

All I can say is that narrowed nosed SD70M-2s would not exist since they can not meet the latest impact requirements.
uhaul

Postby Otto Vondrak » Mon May 19, 2008 2:35 pm

Before we take part in your personal fantasy, why don't YOU tell us what you think N&W would be like today?
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Re: What If the Norfolk & Western Hadn't Merged?

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:07 am

Didn't NS and Southern join in 1982, and CSX begin to consolidate the Seaboard System and Chessie System into one road 1984 or 1985?
lvrr325

Postby dinwitty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:58 am

ThePointyHairedBoss wrote:This is just an Idea I had. What if the CSX merger had been called off, so therefore the N&W and Southern would have never tried to merge? What would the N&W be like today? Would they have broken up Conrail with Chessie? What sort of motive power would they have?(I'm guessing standard cabbed SD70's, and SD70M-2's) Just what would they have been like?

P.S. None of the other Mega-Mergers happened too

They might have merged with the Santa Fe and create the first true one company transcontinental railroad.
dinwitty

Postby mmi16 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:47 pm

lvrr325 wrote:Didn't NS and Southern join in 1982, and CSX begin to consolidate the Seaboard System and Chessie System into one road 1984 or 1985?

The Official merger date between the Seaboard Coast Line and Chessie System was Nov. 1 1980. From M day until the mid-80's they continued to operate as separate systems with some minor coordination projects. Beginning in 1985 plans were undertaken to fully merge the property into a single operating entity - CSXT.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Return to Norfolk & Western, VGN, WAB, NKP, P&WV, ACY, IT