busiest route on the kcs

Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

busiest route on the kcs

Postby lakeshoredave » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:29 pm

what is the busiest route on the kcs? i always hear how they are a very efficient and well run rr, but what is their busiest route and how much traffic do they really have as a railroad overall?
lakeshoredave

Postby resauto » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 am

Pittsburgh Kansas is probably the busiest part of our RR right now. A ton of coal trains and grain trains are constantly running ALL day long. The boards over there are turning like crazy as so here where I work........Beaumont Tx. Of course Shreveport is always busy because thats where our biggest yard is etc........EVERYTHING goes through Shreveport.
resauto

Postby PSNOUS » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:36 pm

resauto wrote:Pittsburgh Kansas is probably the busiest part of our RR right now. A ton of coal trains and grain trains are constantly running ALL day long. The boards over there are turning like crazy as so here where I work........Beaumont Tx. Of course Shreveport is always busy because thats where our biggest yard is etc........EVERYTHING goes through Shreveport.

Hook me up, lol ;)
NARS grad 12/08/06 lookin for a job
PSNOUS

Postby lakeshoredave » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:11 pm

It really is unreal how traffic has grown on the KCS these days. I'd expect it to keep growing if their intermodal partnership with NS to the ATL is successful.
lakeshoredave

Postby pepper0105 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 pm

if i were to get hired on in shreveport as a conductor what other cities would i be able to hold seniority at
pepper0105

Postby GCOR 1.7 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 am

Midsouth. They run nonstop. It's the fastest east to west route of any class 1, or so they say. The guys I know that work there are so sick of working it's ridiculous.
Other than that, yeah, Pittsburgh/Heavner, and Shreveport or Beaumont. Seems like everywhere's getting busier. We don't have enough guys on our engineer or conductor boards to cover everything.
GCOR 1.7

Re: busiest route on the kcs

Postby GulfRail » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 pm

The Meridian Speedway and the L&A have the most traffic due to their position in between KCS de M and the GWWR (not to mention the KC-Omaha-Lincoln route). Pretty much all Northbound and Southbound traffic have to go through there, not to mention the thriving Dallas-Atlanta business. Coal and Chemicals are the lifeblood down there.
GulfRail

Re: busiest route on the kcs

Postby lakeshoredave » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am

thanks for all the replys. i've heard so many good things about the kcs and how they have made themselves standout in this era of the huge class 1 rr's.
lakeshoredave

Return to Kansas City Southern and Affiliates