Heavy Equipment mechanic

Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Heavy Equipment mechanic

Postby Mustangracer11 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am

Is anyone on here a heavy equipment mechanic? I've been thinking about trying to get on as on with kcs either as a conductor or mechanic.
I was wondering what the hours and pay are like for a heavy equipment mechanic. Are you gone days or weeks at a time? How much time do you have off?
Thanks
Mustangracer11

Re: Heavy Equipment mechanic

Postby Freddy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:37 pm

It depends on whether you'll be in the shops or as a maintenance of way mechanic that's assigned to a traveling track gang.
Freddy

Postby Mustangracer11 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 am

Maintenance of way mechanic. There isn't any shop around where I live and I'm not wanting to move.
Mustangracer11

Postby Freddy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Mustangracer11 wrote:Maintenance of way mechanic. There isn't any shop around where I live and I'm not wanting to move.

Then you'll probably be on a traveling gang. Some work 4 on with 3 off(Fri,Sat,Sun) and some work 8 on and 6 off.
Freddy

Postby Mustangracer11 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:19 am

Freddy wrote:
Mustangracer11 wrote:Maintenance of way mechanic. There isn't any shop around where I live and I'm not wanting to move.

Then you'll probably be on a traveling gang. Some work 4 on with 3 off(Fri,Sat,Sun) and some work 8 on and 6 off.

That sounds better than being on call 24/7
Mustangracer11

Return to Kansas City Southern and Affiliates