Early 1980s action

Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Early 1980s action

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Found these neat photos of early 1980s KCS action- especially the F units on their last legs on the coal trains through Texas...

http://www.railpixs.com/kcs/kcs.html
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby AmtrakFan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:29 pm

Thanks for sharing those neat Photos.
AmtrakFan

Postby shortlinerailroader » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:39 am

Last edited by shortlinerailroader on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Why did it say "84 axles" when we have 20 cars?
--It counts the engine, too
shortlinerailroader

Postby Amtrak31 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Otto, those are some sharp looking engines, and thanks for sharing the photos with us. :-)
Amtrak31

Postby joshuahouse » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:38 pm

http://www.railpixs.com/kcs/KCSFunits_atcoalmine_SulpherSpsTx_Nov81.jpg

Having always lived in the north-east its weird seeing coal mines without mountains anywhere in sight.
Check out my photography from around the Finger Lakes. [url] http://joshua-house.artistwebsites.com/ ... +state/all[url/]
joshuahouse

Postby staffhog » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 pm

I was brakeman and then conductor, at different times, on the Tidewater Turn pictured here at Monticello delivery track. Texas Utilities mined lignite coal in Hopkins county, Texas, 35 miles north of this site. Tugco was the name of coal loading facility. The cab units of the 5 unit "F" consist were powered while the "B" units were home shopped slugs. I spent many hours waiting got Texas utilities to deliver the empties, there at Monticello so we could haul 'em back north.
staffhog

Postby Tadman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:06 pm

What is the name of the electric line that serves the power plant from that interchange in the photo above?
Tadman

Postby staffhog » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:54 pm

Texas Utilities. Known on the KCS as Tugco. They have expanded since these photos were taken. I retired in 2002 and not sure of the track layout, at present. I know they extended one of the receiving traks to accomodate the Wyoming coal trains and added more tracks adjacent to this track for the lignite train.
staffhog

Return to Kansas City Southern and Affiliates