Why no Southern Pacific?

This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

Why no Southern Pacific?

Postby jabsteam » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:28 pm

I see there is no Southern Pacific section in the Fallen Flags area - any reason why?
The were a HUGE railroad in their day...
Jim B.
Alco's forever
jabsteam

Re: Why no Southern Pacific?

Postby bdawe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:27 pm

It's an interesting thing.

There's a separate heading for every railroad that ever hauled a hunk of anthracite in the Mid-Atlantic states, and no SP. I realize that this is a very New York et al centric forum, but the California rail forums seem kinda crunchy
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby Allen Hazen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 pm

And, while we're at it: there's a BN forum, but no Santa Fe forum.
I assume the site administrators are sensitive to what the perceive as demand. Perhaps if enough people told them they WANTED a SP or ATSF forum they would recruit a moderator (volunteers anybody) and establish one.
Allen Hazen

Postby Jeff Smith » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:53 pm

I agree it's a bit confusing. Under the previous "administration, the rule of thumb was it wasn't truly a "fallen flag" unless there was no successor. Ultimately, that doesn't hold true: Penn Central was subsumed by Conrail, then CSX. Insert NYC or NH before PC. So let's assume the rule had to do with "bankruptcy". But then, there's a forum for B&O, which to my knowledge wasn't acquired in bankruptcy. And as you mentioned, Burlington Northern. It's not consistent. The Anthracites were brought back by popular demand.

I'm not worried about moderators; I've got a good group of admins who serve as "super moderators" for me ;). So if something pops up, we're on it pretty quick.

I'm not going to get to it today, but I'll revisit it.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion: Fallen Flags