Auto-Train (Original; not Amtrak)

This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

Auto-Train (Original; not Amtrak)

Postby Tom6921 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm

I thought we should have a discussion on the Original Auto-Train that ran from 1971-1980. I know that their original route is run by Amtrak today. However, I know that Auto-Train corp operated a second route to Louisville, KY which was unsuccessful. Does anyone know what became of the Auto-Train terminal in Louisville after the route was shut down?
Tom6921

Re: Auto-Train (Original; not Amtrak)

Postby jhdeasy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 am

I rode Amtrak's Floridian from Nashville TN to Chicago IL on Columbus Day weekend in October 1977. When we stopped at Louisville KY, the Conductor said it was the former Auto train terminal. The combined Floridian & Autotrain service between Kentucky and Florida was discontinued in September 1977.

http://www.themetrains.com/auto-train-f ... rminal.htm

Amtrak discontinued the Floridian in 1979. I do not know what became of the former Autotrain facility at Louisville.

When Amtrak's Kentucky Cardinal was serving Louisville, it did not use the former Autotrain facility; it used a track adjacent to Louisville Union Station.
jhdeasy

Re: Auto-Train (Original; not Amtrak)

Postby Tom6921 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 pm

I looked on Google Earth and found the area where the Louisville Auto-Train terminal was and it looks like there's an industrial area. I also saw a fairly large freight yard on the east side of the main line.

There didn't seem to be much to indicate that people could once have boarded a train their bound for Florida and have their cars with them.
Tom6921

Return to General Discussion: Fallen Flags