European night trains

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Re: European night trains

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Mr. Matthews, must wonder if the "circle trip" I took during June 1979 is still even possible.

Sleeper Euston to Ft. William, thence day train beyond to Mallaig. Ferry to Kyle (in sight of an Island where a world famous Scotch is stilled) , then to Inverness (at a Pub there, the bartender excused himself with "gotta get this Yank one of his beers"). Thence overnight Sleeper back to KC.

All on a Brit Rail Pass.
Gilbert B Norman

Re: European night trains

Postby george matthews » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

I did the same trip in the 1970s. Though I had a Scotrail pass - still one of Britrail's several regional passes. I had had a trip to London for a job interview which returned me to Inverness on the sleeper. I then took the connecting train to Mallaig. I had just finished a postgraduate course in Edinburgh. The ferry trip from Mallaig to Kyle was very pleasant. In the past I have been to Mull - and Iona - and also to Skye. I stayed in a B&B in Dingwall. I think I went up to Wick and Thurso too. I hired a car once and drove from Thurso to the northwest corner. And also to John of Groats. In fact at one time or another I have travelled by train to most of Scotland, starting in 1944 when my mother and I went to Glasgow from London to stay with her mother in a rural village to escape the Flying Bombs (Cruise Missiles as we now call that sort of weapon).
george matthews

Previous

Return to Worldwide Railfan