European night trains

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Re: European night trains

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Mr. Matthews, must wonder if the "circle trip" I took during June 1979 is still even possible.

Sleeper Euston to Ft. William, thence day train beyond to Mallaig. Ferry to Kyle (in sight of an Island where a world famous Scotch is stilled) , then to Inverness (at a Pub there, the bartender excused himself with "gotta get this Yank one of his beers"). Thence overnight Sleeper back to KC.

All on a Brit Rail Pass.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby george matthews » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

I did the same trip in the 1970s. Though I had a Scotrail pass - still one of Britrail's several regional passes. I had had a trip to London for a job interview which returned me to Inverness on the sleeper. I then took the connecting train to Mallaig. I had just finished a postgraduate course in Edinburgh. The ferry trip from Mallaig to Kyle was very pleasant. In the past I have been to Mull - and Iona - and also to Skye. I stayed in a B&B in Dingwall. I think I went up to Wick and Thurso too. I hired a car once and drove from Thurso to the northwest corner. And also to John of Groats. In fact at one time or another I have travelled by train to most of Scotland, starting in 1944 when my mother and I went to Glasgow from London to stay with her mother in a rural village to escape the Flying Bombs (Cruise Missiles as we now call that sort of weapon).
george matthews

Postby stevej » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:10 pm

G'day,
My only experience with European night trains was during my 2008 trek through Switzerland and Germany.
I travelled by DB Talgo nachtzug from Munich to Berlin.
The ride was a bit rough, being only single axles, the train found every set of points.
When booking to ride this train, to basically save time and accommodation expense, the DB clerk did ask me WHY ?
But, the train flew just like most DB trains and the journey was worth the experience.
The second night ride was from Frankfurt Sued to Hannover.
That was a normal 6 berth sleeper car.
Again, this train also flew and the windows did rattle when each passing train slammed by.
I did sleep reasonably well, and arrival into Hannover was just before sunrise.
This was impressive as the train was almost an hour late departing Frankfurt Sued.
DB Zug Leiter must have made a mistake and two times the station indicator signs changed as to which platform it would arrive into.
A goods train finally arriving on the designated platform, which eventually departed.
I presume that the fahrplan would have recovery time allocated.
But, with arrival into Hannover actually a few minutes early, it was an impressive run.
steve.
stevej

Postby David Benton » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 am

Welcome to the Worldwide forum, Steve.
Be great if you could keep us up to date with rail news in Australia.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby stevej » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 am

G'day David,
Thanks for the welcome.
The aussie modern day railway system does seem to change from time to time.
Privatization has seen some company names appear and then disappear.
My era was mostly the traditional state government networks which remained fairly constant.
Today, there are more paint schemes rattling along.
But, not a great deal occurs here where I reside.
When I discover any interesting developments, I will share such.
One recent media announcement detailed the "world's first solar powered train".
An old NSWSRA rail motor has had solar panels inserted into the roof.
I am not sure just how effective this development will be.
It will be interesting to keep an eye on any progress.
Steve.
stevej

Postby RRspatch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm

David Benton wrote:Welcome to the Worldwide forum, Steve.
Be great if you could keep us up to date with rail news in Australia.

It's always refreshing to see railfans and railroaders from around the world take an interest in North American railroading. As a retired railroader and railfan I to take an interest in railroads around the world. To that end one of the forums I read is Railpage Australia which covers Australia and New Zealand quite well. Currently i'm in lurk mode (not registered) as I have enough trouble keeping up with RRnet, Trainorders and of course Facebook. I'm also not sure just how open they are to outsiders. They do have a small international section (a shadow of it's former self) where news about Amtrak and US freight railroads shows up now and then. If you're interested in looking in at railroading down under I do suggest you check it out.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch

Postby David Benton » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:07 am

Thank you , RRspatch,your contributions to the WW forum are most welcome as well. The same goes for our other regular American contributors to the forum. Messrs Ex Con, Norman, Carter,and of course the late Philip Martin spring to mind. Apologies if I have forgotten anyone.I do like the way the love of trains seems to break down any boundaries.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Previous

Return to Worldwide Railfan