David Shepherd RIP

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

David Shepherd RIP

Postby johnthefireman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:54 am

On a week when we are saddened by the loss of our own forum member Philip Martin, there is also the sad news that David Shepherd has died. David was a railway preservationist whose interest spanned two continents, Europe and Africa. He owned a number of steam locos in South Africa, Zambia and UK, and is renowned as a railway artist. Later in life his main focus switched to wildlife conservation, and his art reflected the shift. I had the priviliege of meeting David in South Africa a few years ago when we operated his South African 15F locomotive for him in Ficksburg. I was firing the loco with David riding on the footplate and thoroughly enjoying himself. I recall his words about his shift of focus from steam engines to wildlife - "you can always build a new steam engine, but once tigers have become extinct you can't replace them" (paraphrased from memory). RIP.

Renowned artist, conservationist and railway enthusiast dies at the age of 86
johnthefireman

Re: David Shepherd RIP

Postby johnthefireman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 am

And here is a 75 minute video tribute which includes a fair bit of railway interest:

The Man who Loves Giants - David Shepherd
johnthefireman

Postby David Benton » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks John.
I have made this a sticky announcement, along with Phillips , though I don't believe David was a member of this forum.
I think its the least we can do to honour those that have passed.
RIP.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby johnthefireman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 am

I've just found this photo of David Shepherd in South Africa on his 15F locomotive no 3052 Avril, taken in Ficksburg, probably in 2006, when we operated his loco for him. He's in the centre, I'm standing behind him to the left of the photo, and driver Cliff Petzer is leaning on the window. Cliffie has more than 50 years on the footplate, probably one of the most experienced steam drivers in the Southern Hemisphere, if not the world.
Attachments
david shpeherd on 3025 c2006.jpg
johnthefireman

Postby David Benton » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks John.
I think one of New Zealand's longest serving drivers was Russell Glendinning, who also died this year. I'm not sure when he last drove, i do know he was certifying Drivers up until recently. If it was this year, that would make it 48 years .
Unfortunately, over the last few years, his much loved Kingston flyer has been under a cloud of dispute, and faces an uncertain future.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1702/S ... -flyer.htm
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby johnthefireman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks for sharing that piece on Russell. RIP. Those old drivers were something special!
johnthefireman

Return to Worldwide Railfan