New Battery electric trains for Auckland,NZ

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

New Battery electric trains for Auckland,NZ

Postby David Benton » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 am

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local- ... new-trains
This line currenlty uses diesel shuttles , from Pukekohe to Papakura, where passengers change to electric trains to the city centre. The new battery lectric trains , will run all the way into the city centre.
The line was planned to be electrified in 2025, this proposal allows better service sooner.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Re: New Battery electric trains for Auckland,NZ

Postby george matthews » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:54 am

I do wonder about batteries. I have a number of battery powered devices, mainly for the garden. None of them now work, as the batteries stop working, presumably because of chemical decay.
george matthews

Postby johnthefireman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am

Most things have a design life and need maintenance, replacement of spare parts, and eventually total replacement. This includes battery-powered devices. Also, battery technology is improving by leaps and bounds these days. But I doubt whether we'll ever see (or need) long-distance battery-powered express trains. I assume it will be used for shunters, branch lines, and perhaps "last mile" functions where a train needs to move a very short distance from the electrified main line into a non-electrified area
johnthefireman

Postby george matthews » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm

johnthefireman wrote:Most things have a design life and need maintenance, replacement of spare parts, and eventually total replacement. This includes battery-powered devices. Also, battery technology is improving by leaps and bounds these days. But I doubt whether we'll ever see (or need) long-distance battery-powered express trains. I assume it will be used for shunters, branch lines, and perhaps "last mile" functions where a train needs to move a very short distance from the electrified main line into a non-electrified area

It might be a solution for the Swansea problem - the government having cancelled the electrification from Cardiff. Their solution would be to have a diesel engine for the non-electrified portion; perhaps a battery electric solution could provide the power. Probably not though, as the batteries would likely be even heavier than the diesels.
george matthews

Return to Worldwide Railfan