India's ambitious plan to get its rail network back on track

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

India's ambitious plan to get its rail network back on track

Postby jonnhrr » Mon May 22, 2017 6:15 am

Interesting report from France 24 on India's problem with rail safety and an ambitious plan by the government to turn things around.

Stretching over 70,000 miles, India boasts one of the largest rail networks in the world. But it's also the deadliest. Thousands of people die every year in train accidents in India. Now Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government is making rail safety a priority. It has promised to invest $100 billion over the next five years to help the creaking network get back on its feet - and improve its terrible safety record. Our correspondents report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdXFml ... e=youtu.be
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Re: India's ambitious plan to get its rail network back on t

Postby george matthews » Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 am

I can hear no sound.
george matthews

Postby jonnhrr » Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 am

george matthews wrote:I can hear no sound.

Seems to work OK when I click on the link. You might try going to the France 24 page, the article is under "Asia".
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby David Benton » Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 am

Works fine for me. Good in depth report. Man, those French reporters have style.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby johnthefireman » Fri May 26, 2017 12:18 am

David Benton wrote:Good in depth report. Man, those French reporters have style.

For a couple of decades (before the internet) I used to receive the weekly airmail version of the UK Guardian newspaper. It included a few pages of both the Washington Post and Le Monde. I found the depth of reporting in Le Monde far surpassed both the UK and US papers.
johnthefireman

Postby george matthews » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:25 am

jonnhrr wrote:Interesting report from France 24 on India's problem with rail safety and an ambitious plan by the government to turn things around.

Stretching over 70,000 miles, India boasts one of the largest rail networks in the world. But it's also the deadliest. Thousands of people die every year in train accidents in India. Now Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government is making rail safety a priority. It has promised to invest $100 billion over the next five years to help the creaking network get back on its feet - and improve its terrible safety record. Our correspondents report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdXFml ... e=youtu.be

I would be interested to know whether the safety situation is worse than it was in British days.
george matthews

Postby Statkowski » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 pm

I think the latest figures show 25,000 people a year killed, either by falling off of trains while they hold on outside or riding on the roof (not too smart), getting hit by trains as they walk along the tracks (also not too smart) or ignoring warning signals/gates at grade crossings (getting less smarter), or getting zapped by the 25KV overhead while riding on the roof (absolutely brilliant).
Ex-NYNH&H SS Opr
Statkowski

Return to Worldwide Railfan