Steam in Netherlands and.Germany

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Steam in Netherlands and.Germany

Postby philipmartin » Sat May 06, 2017 9:17 am

philipmartin

Re: Steam in Netherlands and.Germany

Postby NS3737 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:54 am

For those not into the know, the first half of the video is definitely shot in Germany as is the closing shot, with the electric locomotive pushing.

About halfway there is a scene with a 3 axle tank engine, which is the only really Dutch steamer in the whole video. When steam was abandoned in 1958 in the Netherlands, the few remaining locomotives where sent to the scrapyard in order to get some money out of these workhorses as scrap metal. Only one truly Dutch mainline locomotive is preserved in working condition, although I am not sure whether it is operational as I am writing this.

There is also some US interest in this video, at about 8’50” the diesel pushing is a NS class 2200, which is a Baldwin design.
NS3737

Postby philipmartin » Sun May 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Thank you for explaining the video for us. I'm certainly not one of those "in the know," although I did spot at least one Kriegslok, the 52 8053. That Baldwin road switcher is something I don't believe that you can find in North America any
more, and neither will you find the open vestibule passenger cars. The shot of the steamer emerging from the tunnel gives you an idea of what engine crews endured in the days of steam.
philipmartin

Postby george matthews » Sun May 07, 2017 3:22 pm

philipmartin wrote:Thank you for explaining the video for us. I'm certainly not one of those "in the know," although I did spot at least one Kriegslok, the 52 8053. That Baldwin road switcher is something I don't believe that you can find in North America any
more, and neither will you find the open vestibule passenger cars. The shot of the steamer emerging from the tunnel gives you an idea of what engine crews endured in the days of steam.

Almost all lines in the Netherlands are electrified and steam is only found on one or two preserved lines. The service on the main network is extremely efficient and totally modern.
george matthews

Postby johnthefireman » Wed May 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Does anyone know if Germany still has Plandampf, where some scheduled services in a particular area are taken over by steam for a couple of days?
johnthefireman

Postby philipmartin » Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Plamdampf in Germany last year. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTFJsji_q6o

Plamdampf in the UK last February. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1kw_9xuET8M

information on Plandampf. http://www.plandampfteam.de/Aktuelles_news.html
philipmartin

Return to Worldwide Railfan