Transnet in South Africa facing downsizing

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Transnet in South Africa facing downsizing

Postby philipmartin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 am

philipmartin

Re: Transnet in South Africa facing downsizing

Postby philipmartin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Here's an article posted by John Ashworth in "Friends of the Rail" which sounds so unlikely. Folks diverting electric current from electrified rail lines. Theft of electricity.
Thank you, John.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... s-20170326
philipmartin

Postby george matthews » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:55 pm

philipmartin wrote:Here's an article posted by John Ashworth in "Friends of the Rail" which sounds so unlikely. Folks diverting electric current from electrified rail lines. Theft of electricity.
Thank you, John.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... s-20170326

I think they have electrified some lines at rather low voltages so that there is less danger. There are a few lines at much higher voltage. They were intended for heavy haulage.
george matthews

Postby philipmartin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:39 pm

george matthews wrote:I think they have electrified some lines at rather low voltages so that there is less danger.

I wasn't aware of that. I think in terms of the high voltage AC lines where I work. Thank you, George.
philipmartin

Postby george matthews » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 pm

philipmartin wrote:
george matthews wrote:I think they have electrified some lines at rather low voltages so that there is less danger.

I wasn't aware of that. I think in terms of the high voltage AC lines where I work. Thank you, George.

I can't remember the voltages, and I am too lazy to look them up. I think a lot of the electrified lines are 1500v DC, but I am not sure. The high voltage lines are AC the same as they are in Britain. They can really kill quickly.
george matthews

Postby johnthefireman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:54 pm

As far as I can recall the high voltage lines are 25 kV AC and the lower voltage ones are 3 kV DC, but it might be 1.5 kV as George says. The train from Jo'burg to Cape Town changes locomotives twice because of the voltage difference.
johnthefireman

Postby george matthews » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:25 am

johnthefireman wrote:As far as I can recall the high voltage lines are 25 kV AC and the lower voltage ones are 3 kV DC, but it might be 1.5 kV as George says. The train from Jo'burg to Cape Town changes locomotives twice because of the voltage difference.

The high voltage lines were chosen because those lines carry a lot of heavy freight and were electrified later than the others. In fact, as in Europe, 25kv AC is the new standard.
george matthews

Return to Worldwide Railfan