Ramifications of "Brexit" for railways

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Re: Ramifications of "Brexit" for railways

Postby george matthews » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 am

johnthefireman wrote:Rail commuters 'to be slapped with 4% BREXIT FARE HIKE' as result of fall in pound's value

I have no idea whether this is true or not - after all, it is from the Daily Express.

As the exchange rate has fallen since the "brexit" vote it is probably true - for international trains. But of course for domestic trains it is a pure propaganda lie. I expect Eurostar fares will also have changed. The "Express" is one of the rabid leave at any cost newspapers - though I don't think it is worthy of the term 'news'.
george matthews

Postby johnthefireman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:23 am

george matthews wrote: it is a pure propaganda lie. I expect Eurostar fares will also have changed. The "Express" is one of the rabid leave at any cost newspapers - though I don't think it is worthy of the term 'news'.

Yes, I share your view of the Express, but since they are so rabidly pro-Brexit I wonder why they are publishing a story which would seem to be highlighting another of the many negative effects of leaving the EU?

PS: The Brexit vote has already had a big financial impact on me, as my savings are in UK and the pound has fallen around 20% compared to the Kenya shilling, so I am now poorer than I was!
johnthefireman

Postby george matthews » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:36 pm

My thoughts of going out of the country have also declined. I am thinking of going to Scotland soon, when the garden fruit has been picked. I am thinking of taking the Caledonian sleeper.
george matthews

Postby johnthefireman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 am

george matthews wrote:I am thinking of taking the Caledonian sleeper.

I love sleeper trains, but I haven't taken one in Europe for twenty years or so, and I believe there is another topic somewhere about their decline. I travel fairly regularly (usually at least once a year) on South Africa's Premier Classe sleeper between Jo'burg and Cape Town, which is still a good experience, although the food has now declined from "haute cuisine" to "good but nothing special".
johnthefireman

Postby george matthews » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:44 am

I have taken a train from Cape Town to Jo'burg at least once. It was a pleasant trip. But that was about 30 years ago. I was on the way to flying to Ghana.
george matthews

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 am

johnthefireman wrote: I believe there is another topic somewhere about their decline.

Here you go, John:

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=23509
Gilbert B Norman

Previous

Return to Worldwide Railfan