How wind can power the world's mass transit

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Re: How wind can power the world's mass transit

Postby george matthews » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 am

MCL1981 wrote:Do you even read these things beyond the BS headlines? They put some solar panels on the roof of a building. It powers some of one station at some times of some days. It is not powering the railroad in any way at all. It's a total joke.

Actually, I have been working with these energy problems since the 1960s. I have had some useful influence in two African countries. I don't understand why you are so angry.
george matthews

Postby MCL1981 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:03 am

george matthews wrote:
MCL1981 wrote:Do you even read these things beyond the BS headlines? They put some solar panels on the roof of a building. It powers some of one station at some times of some days. It is not powering the railroad in any way at all. It's a total joke.

Actually, I have been working with these energy problems since the 1960s. I have had some useful influence in two African countries. I don't understand why you are so angry.

And that has what to do with the topic? Has what to do with what you quoted? I'm not impressed either.
MCL1981

Postby george matthews » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 am

MCL1981 wrote:
george matthews wrote:

And that has what to do with the topic? Has what to do with what you quoted? I'm not impressed either.

You are 'not impressed'? What do you think my impression is of you?

Can wind power rail traffic? Yes, it can, but only by being part of a mixture of power sources fed into a grid system. What more is there to say? Should it? Yes, as we need to develop energy sources that do not add CO2 to the atmosphere. Why do we need that? Because we need to stop climate change by preventing the CO2 from increasing. That's not really a complicated thing to grasp. But possibly it helps to have had a competent science education.
george matthews

Postby MCL1981 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Changing topics in mid-post yet again. With more drivel that adds up to nothing. Congratulations, you powered a light bulb. We're all saved.
MCL1981

Postby David Benton » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Well, we on vacation down south to show the kids snow. Only to find ourselves in a heatwave and no snow.
Then I come back to this childish bickering.
The kids were better behaved travelling 1000 miles in the back of a motorhome.
Anymore and I'll lock the thread.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby george matthews » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:05 am

David Benton wrote:Well, we on vacation down south to show the kids snow. Only to find ourselves in a heatwave and no snow.
Then I come back to this childish bickering.
The kids were better behaved travelling 1000 miles in the back of a motorhome.
Anymore and I'll lock the thread.

I will try to ignore the person I was replying to.
george matthews

Postby NS3737 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:55 am

george matthews wrote:They also have a large nuclear sector.

Not quite so, there only have been two nuclear power plants in the Netherlands, one in Dodewaard with just 58MW capacity and already closed in 1997, and Borsele with just 458MW, still in service. With an installed base of approximately 32 GW, the nuclear part is minute.

The NS claim that their trains need about 1% of all electricity used in the Netherlands.
NS3737

Postby David Benton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:13 pm

NS3737 wrote:The NS claim that their trains need about 1% of all electricity used in the Netherlands.

Given the size of the electrified railway network, I am surprised it is that low a %.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby NS3737 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Not only the size but also the freqency, at least two trains per hour both directions from the early morning until late evening.

For the interested, the official site of the NS has a large section on sustainability. http://www.ns.nl.
Also in english, scrol down to about us and then go to sustainability.
NS3737

Previous

Return to Worldwide Railfan