Railfanning San Jose, Ca

Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

Railfanning San Jose, Ca

Postby LIRR272 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:03 am

Hello,

In March I will be coming to San Jose, Ca. While there I'm looking to do some railfanning where I can see a mix of passenger and freight. Any suggestions? I'll be traveling by foot from the downtown area.
LIRR272

Re: Railfanning San Jose, Ca

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:46 am

Your best bet seems to be at San Jose(Diridon) station,Amtrak,Caltrain,Altamont Commuter Express services,
and UP freights.
Backshophoss

Postby LIRR272 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the freights actually went through the station.
LIRR272

Postby riffian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Freights do go through the station, but unfortunately are few in number. A better bet is the Santa Clara station where you will see more freights, as well as all the passenger trains from the three operating authorities that you see at San Jose. The Santa Clara station is accessible via Caltrain and has the restored Espee tower as well as the depot. The Santa Clara station is at the North throat of the yard, so you will see freights (Roseville, South San Francisco, Salinas) switching their trains there.
riffian

Return to Western Railfan