Dual gauge track in Columbus

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Dual gauge track in Columbus

Postby Myrtone » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:40 am

Here is a photo of three-rail dual gauge track in Columbus. As one can see in the link, the gauges don't differ much. Did this track require special rail profiles on one side of each track? I know that three rail dual gauge heavy rail track does involve narrow footed rails when the two gauges differ by only slightly more than the rail width. Did this track shown in the photo mean a speed restriction (even away from points and crossings) that did not always apply to single gauge track?
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Re: Dual gauge track in Columbus

Postby Arborwayfan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Could that be some kind of gauntlet track?
Arborwayfan

Postby Myrtone » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:13 am

Nope, interlaced track has four rails, but that photo only shows three rails per track.
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Postby Arborwayfan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:25 am

I found this online, interlaced rail in Amsterdam. I think it could be a picture of a similar situation.

Left to right on the amsterdam picture: right (starboard) rail for coming towards us, left (port) rail for going away from us, extra piece of steel to protect flangeway, big stretch of bricks, extra piece of steel to protect flangeway, left (port) rail for coming towards us, right (starboard) rail for going away from us.

http://citytransport.info/Digi/5977.jpg
Arborwayfan

Postby Myrtone » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:33 pm

And that photo shows four rails.
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Postby John_Perkowski » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:29 pm

What it looks like to me is double track urban rail. Remember, streetcar rail isn't always the same as mainline rail.

~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby Myrtone » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:32 pm

That picture shows two tracks crossing each other, each with only two rails. Dual gauge track must have at least three if the gauges differ by more than the width of the railhead.
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Postby Alcochaser » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Yep nothing dual gauge about that. Streetcar rail often was made with complete flange ways.

It sometimes got used on "steam roads" the DL&W used it at Utica NY for the street running.
Alcochaser

Postby talltim » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:01 am

Regarding the photo in the first post, its from this site http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/?m ... rack_Gauge which explains more. It is dual gauge 4' 8 1/2" and 5' 2". The dual gauge track goes to the left, the ones going the right are 5' 2" only
Tim David
talltim

Postby Myrtone » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:56 am

Ah yes, but it is clear from the photo that two of the rail-heads are close together, did they, in fact, share a common rail foot? Much dual gauge track elsewhere in the world involves gauges different by more than the width of the rail-head, so three-rail dual gauge track is possible with standard rails. This type of dual gauge track was important in some European cities, most notably Stuttgart, during a period of converting their networks to standard gauge. In this case, they were converting from gauges narrower than standard by more than the width of standard rails.
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Postby talltim » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:27 am

From what I can see it looks like they used special sections of rail with two heads. I suppose if you require enough of it it get worth the extra cost of getting it rolled or cast
Tim David
talltim

Postby mtuandrew » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramway_track - scroll down to the section on grooved rail. Girder rail (another name for it) was pretty common in the US for traction use, and I'm pretty certain that's what you see here. Not actually dual gauge.

EDIT: mea culpa! I didn't notice that this system did have broad gauge as well. Would love to see the track profile.
mtuandrew

Postby Myrtone » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am

talltim wrote:From what I can see it looks like they used special sections of rail with two heads. I suppose if you require enough of it it get worth the extra cost of getting it rolled or cast

But what if you only need dual gauge track during a changeover period? Wouldn't the need for this special type of rail during the changeover make regauging the network more complicated?
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Return to General Discussion - Passenger Rail