Grand Canyon Railway

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Grand Canyon Railway

Postby Tadman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:02 am

Any of yall ever take the GCR? Have any thoughts to share?

I'm interested but I really don't want the fake cowbodys-n-indians show that they talk about, I'm not too into the Disney-type stuff.
Tadman

Re: Grand Canyon Railway

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Been a few years,did ride the line with the wife,both the "shoot out" at the station(Williams)and the onboard "robbery" are somewhat "historical"
reenactments based on AZ state history,can be entertaining with the kids.
Rode behind the 4960 mu'ed to FA/FB/FB set in 1 of the SP coaches,decent track, 40-45 mph speed. there are AC coaches and Dome cars,extra fare however.
The train wyes and backs into Grand Canyon Station,owned by the Park service. There's a shuttle bus service to various points in the Park.
Heavy car traffic during the summer in the Park,beware!
Have enough time to visit 1-2 park attractions,and view the Canyon before the return trip.
During the "peak season" GCRY runs 2-3 round trips.
One of the other sets in use is the "Boise Budds"(MBTA/Caltrain) set with dome cars behind a pair of F-40ph's.
Can be hauling a Water Tank Car to the Grand Canyon at times as well.
This was before the Xterra buyout of the original owners behind the branch rebuilding .
Backshophoss

Postby Tadman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks, appreciate the tips. I was debating what class to ride. My first thought was dome, then the obs car with open platform. I'll be going in a few weeks so not sure if the open obs is worth the money if I cant sit out back due to cold weather. Open obs is one of the few things I haven't experienced with regard to train features.
Tadman

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Weather this time of year is COLD,and snow covered,Williams Jct (on the transconn) is just a platform,Shuttle meets train there for ride
to the Hotel(9:33 p(# 3)3:50 a(#4) if on time)read note 50 in TT,Flagstaff is a full service staffed station.
OBS is The most $$$$ farewise.(Has adult beverages)
GCRY has a website,should include hotel reservations at Williams,and the shuttle to/from Williams Jct.
Steam runs on special occasions,and uses deep fryer oil as fuel!
Decent Gift Shop in Williams Station,also a small museum about the Crookton cutoff reroute done by ATSF.
Single track branch with passing sidings.
Backshophoss

Return to General Discussion - Passenger Rail