Steak and Bagel Train - Philadelphia

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

Steak and Bagel Train - Philadelphia

Postby KAWASAKI-FAN100 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:14 pm

While I was walking up broad street for a bus I saw a train car painted red white and blue. It is located at some narrow street near spring garden st across the street from school district of Philadelphia head quarters! Does anyone know what cars this is, where it came from and how it got there?

Here's a picture I took of it.

Kyle W.
KAWASAKI-FAN100

Re: What is this, and why is it off the tracks?

Postby scotty269 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:39 pm

http://www.futurenostalgia.org/archive. ... agel_Train
http://www.agilitynut.com/07/6/steak.jpg
http://bethlehembranch.tripod.com/rdg1186.html

http://notfortourists.com/Features.aspx?ID=177&city=PH
Steak and Bagel Train • 425 N Broad Street
The Steak and Bagel Train started life as a luxury dining car on the Schuylkill run of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. Though most people recognize the Reading Railroad from its plum spot on the Monopoly board, they probably don’t realize that the Supreme Court actually broke up the Railroad in an anti-trust ruling in the 1920s.

In its heyday, the P & R Railroad was an industrial giant, which tried its hand at coal mining, iron smelting, and ship building. By 1870, the Railroad was the largest corporation in the world. They owned the Schuylkill Canal and railroad lines that stretched from New York, through the wide state of Pennsylvania, and all the way to Delaware. Today Reading Terminal Station has been given a new life as a successful public market.

But Reading Terminal Market is not the last surviving bit of the once proud Railroad. Five blocks north of City Hall sits a beautiful, if derelict, dining car. The railroad hooked car #1186 on the Iron Horse Rambles run shortly after it was built in 1922. The car had a small kitchen, lunch counter, and dining tables to serve its passengers in style.

By the 1970’s the automobile had definitively triumphed over the railroad as America’s choice of transportation, and dining cars like #1186 were used less and less. The Railroad sold the car, and it was stopped forever on a bit of track north of City Hall. In the ‘80s the Immigration and Naturalization Service used the car as a Passport Photo Express, and later it became the Steak and Bagel Train, a small diner with an odd name. The food was far from gourmet, but railroad enthusiasts had the chance to enjoy a rare piece of Reading equipment.

The car has been vacant for the past ten years and has shown the wear and tear of life on Broad Street. Most of the wide picture windows have been broken and boarded up, and the car sits amongst a sea of trash. Its tracks are no longer connected to a working rail, so it is stranded until someone comes and hauls it away.

The Reading Company Historical Society would love to restore the car and have been trying to raise funds to move the Steak and Bagel Train to Temple University. If you are interested in helping them salvage car #1186, check out their website at http://www.readingrailroad.org.

It looks as if it has been cleaned up significantly and is being used for something else, now. Also, this should be moved to either the Reading Company forum or the Pennsylvania Railfan forum.
scotty269

Postby KAWASAKI-FAN100 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks
Kyle W.
KAWASAKI-FAN100

Postby AlexC » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:15 am

Moved to the Pennsylvania Forum.
~Alex Charyna: SEPTA (and PATCO) Forum Moderator

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous 16-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
― Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
AlexC

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:13 am

AlexC wrote:Moved to the Pennsylvania Forum.

Hi Alex, maybe if it was moved to the Reading railroad forum it would be more appropriate? This was a former Reading Railroad car. I know the Reading Tech would love to have it. It looks better then it did a few years ago when homeless people were living in it and it smelled really bad.
BuddSilverliner269

Postby AlexC » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Heh.
Once I move it out of SEPTA, I no longer control it. The Pennsy moderators will have to move it again.
~Alex Charyna: SEPTA (and PATCO) Forum Moderator

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous 16-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
― Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
AlexC

Postby JimBoylan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Minor corrections to the history:
The railroad hooked car #1186 on the Iron Horse Rambles run shortly after it was built in 1922. Immigration and Naturalization Service used the car as a Passport Photo Express
"shortly" was about 37 years. Passport Photo Express, the 1st non-railroad owner, was an independent business, not part of any government agency.
JimBoylan

Postby NortheastTrainMan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:10 pm

I've seen that railcar quite a few times before but I knew that it hasn't seen rails in a loooonnnngggg time lol!
I like trains and operations mainly on the east coast but also all over the U.S. and the world!

I only know what is open to the public nothing more.
NortheastTrainMan

Re: Steak and Bagel Train - Philadelphia

Postby Suburban Station » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:52 am

why don't they reopen it? I used to live nearby and always wished I coudl get a damn bagel. With the School District HQ's, staet office building, Inquirer, and nearby Art Deco office building you'd think they could make a go of it as the steak and bagel train again.or "the dining car"
Suburban Station

Return to Pennsylvania Railfan