Tank cars in Jim Thorpe on R&N

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

Tank cars in Jim Thorpe on R&N

Postby carajul » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:44 pm

What are all the tank cars in Jim Thorpe on both sides of the river on the R&N lines? On the ex-LV side they are stretched as far as you can see!
carajul

Re: Tank cars in Jim Thorpe on R&N

Postby SEPTAR2Newark » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Empty car storage.
SEPTAR2Newark

Postby CPSK » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 am

Good to know they're only empties - and not full of something dangerous!
CPSK

Postby joshuahouse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Oh yes, because there's never been anything ever dangerous on a rail car in Jim Thorpe before this. If you want totally safe rail cars, stick to lionel.
Check out my photography from around the Finger Lakes. [url] http://joshua-house.artistwebsites.com/ ... +state/all[url/]
joshuahouse

Postby Statkowski » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:27 pm

The empty ones can indeed be more dangerous than the loaded ones.
Ex-NYNH&H SS Opr
Statkowski

Postby lvrr325 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:37 pm

What are they just using one track on the LV side, or nothing at all?
lvrr325

Postby CPSK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:16 am

Statkowski wrote:The empty ones can indeed be more dangerous than the loaded ones.

Right. My thinking was flawed when I wrote that response. The vapors from any volatile liquid are far more dangerous than the liquid itself.
I can be a bit naive sometimes, I do admit.
CP
CPSK

Postby CPSK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 am

lvrr325 wrote:What are they just using one track on the LV side, or nothing at all?

They must be using one track for mainline. There was a southbound manifest freight through the gorge earlier.
Anyone know if the power plant at Hazleton still receives coal, or has that been switched to gas or oil - or been shut completely?
CPSK

Postby pumpers » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:46 pm

From Lehighton Yard,south of Jim THorpe, there are 2 tracks on the east side of the Lehigh river, ex LV as was noted, up through East Jim THorpe all the way to M&H junction, where the line to Hazelton splits off. The east track of these 2 tracks belongs to R&N (track 1) and the west track (track 2) belongs to NS I believe. Can someone confirm that? North of M&H junction up through the gorge it is single track (R&N) I believe. So my guess is the R&N track (the one farthest from the river) is being used for storage and the NS track for the through trains to Allentown/Bethlehem.
The track on the west side of the river from the bridge over the LV river at Nesqhuehoning down to Packerton is ex CNJ and belongs to R&N.
Jim
pumpers

Postby carajul » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:06 pm

[quote="pumpers"]From Lehighton Yard,south of Jim THorpe, there are 2 tracks on the east side of the Lehigh river, ex LV as was noted, up through East Jim THorpe all the way to M&H junction, where the line to Hazelton splits off. The east track of these 2 tracks belongs to R&N (track 1) and the west track (track 2) belongs to NS I believe. Can someone confirm that? North of M&H junction up through the gorge it is single track (R&N) I believe. So my guess is the R&N track (the one farthest from the river) is being used for storage and the NS track for the through trains to Allentown/Bethlehem.
The track on the west side of the river from the bridge over the LV river at Nesqhuehoning down to Packerton is ex CNJ and belongs to R&N.
Jim[/quote]

You are pretty much correct. The ex-LV line north of M&H Jct was sold to R&N by CR just before NS bought CR, and I think NS freaked and sued CR.
The tracks by Jim Thorpe station are ex-CNJ. They are owned by carbon county and rented by R&N. I don't think R&N owns them. The county bought that line from CR in the early 80s. CR was serving it once a week and wanted to abandon it but Ametek in Nesquehoning threw a fit. The CR crew would come up from Atown once a week and outlaw... because they were screwing around on the job. I once caught them parked in front of PQ tower drinking beers sometime in the early 80s.
carajul

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:14 pm

I never could figure out what they were doing down there back from when they sold one track to R&N and kept the other one, I know one was out of service entirely for a time.
lvrr325

Postby FLRailFan1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:19 pm

joshuahouse wrote:Oh yes, because there's never been anything ever dangerous on a rail car in Jim Thorpe before this. If you want totally safe rail cars, stick to lionel.

That's FUNNY!!
FLRailFan1

Postby CNJ Fan 4evr » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:45 pm

R&N has tank cars stored all over the system. There is another string of them on the former BM&R track from Hamburg to almost Temple. The line breaks in a few places for crossings and bridges but they are all white tank cars.Would love to be there when they move them out.
CNJ Fan 4evr

Return to Pennsylvania Railfan