Train things to do in March in Eastern PA?

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

Train things to do in March in Eastern PA?

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 am

My wife and I attend the East Coast Large Scale Train Show every March held in York, PA. We make it a weekend affair and also visit other railroad attractions, as well as some Amish tourist traps and factory tours. So far we have gone to the Strasburg Railroad, the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum, and the Choo Choo Barn. Unfortunately, the Horseshoe Curve and related Museum, the Freedom PA Steam Train, and the TCA Museum are all closed in March.

We come from Albany, NY, so we wouldn’t want to venture far west of York. Can anyone suggest any railroad points of interest in and around the Eastern part of PA? Is it possible to railfan in the York area on Saturday and see anything?

We plan to stop at Philadelphia on the way home Sunday to go to a museum and get a cheesesteak.

Thanks!
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Train things to do in March in Eastern PA?

Postby ex Budd man » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm

You might try the New Hope & Ivyland RR. It once was part of the Reading Railroad. Now it's a tourist hauler in Bucks County. They have an eclectic mix of steam and diesel equipment. You can find more info on their website.
"I may not have a brain, but I have an idea!" BOB, benzoate ostylezene bicarbonate.
ex Budd man

Postby JohnR19 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 pm

What about Roadside America in Shartlesville,and also the new Colebrook Railroad in Boyerstown.
JohnR19

Postby CNJ Fan 4evr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:48 am

If you just want to railfan I'd suggest Harrisburg, Enola, and Marysville for Rockville Bridge. Middletown & Hummelstown is close to York but I don't think it is running yet. Google them and check for schedule.
CNJ Fan 4evr

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:08 am

The show these folks attended was 3/27-3/28.
lvrr325

Return to Pennsylvania Railfan