NS taking over part of D&H, fate of Bangor & Slateford??

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

Re: NS taking over part of D&H, fate of Bangor & Slateford??

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Wow. This is potentially terrible news for the railroad between Phillipsburg and Stroudsburg. Not a heck of a lot of online business...or really any at all that I can think of outside of the Phillipsburg area.

Power plant is gone. There used to be a plastics business in Portland, by I have seen nothing on their siding in decades, ever since 2005ish when my old company was interested in the location. There is a siding to a little farm supply place that made or received fertilizer somewhere near Bangor that hasn't seen a car in decades.

I would highly doubt it would get ripped up. That I would find unlikely, but the near term future of the line is not bright. Why maintain 20-30 miles of track, one or two major bridges, and Lord knows what else simply to maintain a redundant interchange?
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SemperFidelis

Postby cjvrr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 am

Semper,

The grain facility in Martins Creek is booming. They just did a large expansion and now get unit trains to the facility.

But west (north) of Martins Creek there are no customers, nor do I really see any potential for any as the properties adjacent to the line just don't appear to be conducive to the use of a large shipper.

On Saturday there was a large transformer on a depressed center car with two idlers at the power plant in Portland so there may be occasional shipments to the power plant. Rumor is the power plant can burn oil now and NS rebuilt the track adjacent to the facility to bring in unit oil trains if necessary. But has never been a need to date.

My guess is the line will be mothballed or leased out to the Counties to reduce any tax liability.
Last edited by cjvrr on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Postby SemperFidelis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Totally forgot about that. My bad! Thank you for the good news.
SemperFidelis

Postby CNJ Fan 4evr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Heard other rumors that empties may go back via Slateford, but like I said rumors are rumors. Either way D-L still serves a customer in Tinkertown and I believe Gravel Place. Just wondering if these cars would still come in via Portland ?
CNJ Fan 4evr

Postby rr503 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Ah a real crying shame! Loved seeing them smoke up the valley from Tammany.

For now, the DL has rocktenn and that lumber customer in stroudsburg to switch (both still get cars right?), so I think the line that’ll really suffer is the portion through the gap — south of the gap NS’ll probably keep it in some state of usability for the power plant.

A year or so ago, there were rumors about NS maybe selling to Martins Creek, and giving the DL rights to Hudson Yard. Do you think that’s in the realm of possibility?
rr503

Postby pumpers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 am

THere is related discussion on the NY forum: viewtopic.php?f=128&t=75317&start=1590

One poster (SecaucusJunction at the end of his Feb 3 post) says part of the reason to move the interchange is a first step to shut down the hump at Allentown.
pumpers

Postby pumpers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 am

Related, does NS still run their daily pair of trains over RBMN through the Lehigh Gorge? Most of us assumed they would go away when NS took over the D&H lne along the Susquehanna river a few years ago, but some time after that they were still running. But my news is at least a year or two old on that if not more so. JS
pumpers

Postby johnpbarlow » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 am

pumpers wrote:Related, does NS still run their daily pair of trains over RBMN through the Lehigh Gorge? Most of us assumed they would go away when NS took over the D&H lne along the Susquehanna river a few years ago, but some time after that they were still running. But my news is at least a year or two old on that if not more so. JS

Yes, 36T (south to Allentown) and 37T (north to Binghamton/Buffalo) still operate daily over RBM&N between Dupont and Penn Haven Jct(I think). And 37T drops NS interchange for RBM&N at Penobscot on its way north. Not sure if 36T picks up any interchange off RBM&N on its way south.
johnpbarlow

Postby pumpers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:51 pm

johnpbarlow wrote:Yes, 36T (south to Allentown) and 37T (north to Binghamton/Buffalo) still operate daily over RBM&N between Dupont and Penn Haven Jct(I think). And 37T drops NS interchange for RBM&N at Penobscot on its way north. Not sure if 36T picks up any interchange off RBM&N on its way south.

Interesting. If it is true that part of the reason the Slateford DL interchange went away was to achieve less activity at Allentown, maybe something will change with this RBMN interchange at Penboscot.

And did RBMN ever do anything about building (or getting real in terms of plan about) that new bridge at PQ(?) (north of Jim THorpe) so they could run Penboscot to Reading without reversing? I thought they got some state grant for part of it at one point.
pumpers

Postby SEPTAR2Newark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 am

pumpers wrote:
johnpbarlow wrote:Yes, 36T (south to Allentown) and 37T (north to Binghamton/Buffalo) still operate daily over RBM&N between Dupont and Penn Haven Jct(I think). And 37T drops NS interchange for RBM&N at Penobscot on its way north. Not sure if 36T picks up any interchange off RBM&N on its way south.

Interesting. If it is true that part of the reason the Slateford DL interchange went away was to achieve less activity at Allentown, maybe something will change with this RBMN interchange at Penboscot.

And did RBMN ever do anything about building (or getting real in terms of plan about) that new bridge at PQ(?) (north of Jim THorpe) so they could run Penboscot to Reading without reversing? I thought they got some state grant for part of it at one point.

It’s in the works, land is being preped for the planned supports and ROW. I believe 2019 is the current forecast.
SEPTAR2Newark

Postby pumpers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:54 pm

That's exciting, thank you for the update. I hope it stays on track (pun not intended).
If anyone has pictures of any visible work or progress, please post. Get those drones up in the air!
pumpers

Postby Heidelbergbreaker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:22 pm

I rode the Hometown Bridge excursion last October. The access road along the R.O.W. is in place, the site on one side is cleared and there are some steel components of the bridge on site. There probably isn't much progrees right now due to the winter weather.
Heidelbergbreaker

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania Railfan