Railroad Points of Interest Around New Holland, PA

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

Railroad Points of Interest Around New Holland, PA

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 am

Hey everyone,

On my first trip to New Holland, PA for work training, not only did I miss out on the Shady Maple buffet and the Cabella's flagship store, but my employer also failed to mention to me that Strasburg and the RR Museum of PA are both quite close to New Holland. My bosses probably figured I wouldn't come back if I found out, haha.

Traveling along 222 I did parallel Norfolk Southern trackage, and even caught a pair of wide cab GE's switching near an old Erie-lettered steel bridge.

Seeing as I'll probably be back for further training at some point down the road, the next time I'm down I'd certainly like to visit Strasburg and the big museum, but are there any other railroad attractions in the immediate vicinity? I didn't get to go on a tour of the New Holland plant, but next time I'm down I would like to. I did notice there is a grade crossing to gain access to the plant, does NS transport for New Holland, and do they ever switch out the plant?

Thanks in advance!
Jesse
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Re: Railroad Points of Interest Around New Holland, PA

Postby Statkowski » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Seeing as how New Holland makes agricultural and construction vehicles for both domestic and export, I do believe it would be a safe bet that much of their equipment goes out via rail. Of course, plant switching might be nothing more than spotting empties and pulling loads.
Ex-NYNH&H SS Opr
Statkowski

Postby pumpers » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 pm

NaugyRR wrote:Traveling along 222 I did parallel Norfolk Southern trackage, and even caught a pair of wide cab GE's switching near an old Erie-lettered steel bridge.

Erie in the Lancaster area? Besides local short lines, if any, this was all PRR and Reading territory I believe.
JS
pumpers

Postby NaugyRR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 am

Could've been Reading, pumpers. I only saw it quick while I was driving.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby pumpers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 pm

NaugyRR wrote:Could've been Reading, pumpers. I only saw it quick while I was driving.

Do you recall where on 222 it was? Lancaster area? Up towards Reading? South towards Strassburg...?
EDIT. Speaking of short lines in the area, I think Strasburg RR was always independent.
pumpers

Postby NaugyRR » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 am

It was heading north on 222, on my way home. It was south of Allentown where I was going to pick up 78. The bridge was on the right hand side, with a pair of signals on the south side, and there was a decently-sized industry next to it, like a mill or a plant. Going north, 222 parallels the bridge, then turns to the right and goes underneath the NS tracks via an underpass. The bridge wasn't too far from where I saw the two wide-cabs switching some gray/silver gondolas.

I just looked on street view. Here's where I saw the wide-cabs...
https://goo.gl/maps/1YUfAqMg1G72

I'll keep looking on street view to find the bridge
NaugyRR

Postby NaugyRR » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 am

NaugyRR

Postby ExCon90 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm

pumpers wrote: Speaking of short lines in the area, I think Strasburg RR was always independent.
Yes, it was and is. Since 1834, making it two years older than the Long Island. (The Wikipedia entry on the Long Island states that it is the second-oldest railroad continuously operating with its original charter, and I always wondered what the oldest one was. Now I know.)
ExCon90

Return to Pennsylvania Railfan