Steam Generator locomotives?

Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: slide rules, Typewriters

Steam Generator locomotives?

Postby D Alex » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:28 pm

I was reading a story about the Doble steam car recently, how it differed from other steam autos by using a steam generator rather than a boiler. Now, I know that a good number of diesel locomotives used small steam generators to heat passenger coaches, but did anybody ever run a locomotive with a large steam generator? It would seem to be a good idea where water might be scarce, or a smaller locomotive with full power was needed. Also, a steam generator takes only a couple of minutes to raise a head of steam, whereas a boiler takes probably an hour or more. Of course, you need a fluid fuel source (oil or gas), which might be more efficiently used in an internal combustion engine. I'm sure at some point, an engineer at least did a study...
D Alex

Re: Steam Generator locomotives?

Postby D Alex » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Sorry, but that is not a steam generator, it is an electric generator powered by a steam engine; BIG difference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_generator_(boiler)
D Alex

Postby phillyrube » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:00 pm

The old GG-1 had an oil fired steam generator. Seems funny with all that electricity to use oil to heat water, but it's more efficient.
phillyrube

Postby D Alex » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Oil-fired steam generators were in a LOT of 1st generation diesels, but not as a power unit. From what I've read about the Doble, it could get a head of steam up from cold in about 90 seconds, which might be useful in a small switcher. Or the need for much less water might've been helpful in a very dry climate. Perhaps it might've worked in a self-propelled car?

Oh, BTW, they probably used an oil-fired SG so that it could heat the cars on the consist when parked, and the caternary was down.
D Alex

Return to Steam Locomotives