ATSF tenders

Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: slide rules, Typewriters

ATSF tenders

Postby Cowford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but think this is the appropriate forum:

The Dec Trains magazine has an article about experiences firing on the ATSF. The pic (of a 2-10-2) jogged my memory about a question I've long had about ATSF tenders: Some have a large housing on top of (or sometimes behind?) the oil bunker... looks to stand about 4-5-ft high, the top of which is arched. In a couple pics I've seen, they appear to have access doors. Only thing I could come up with is that it's part of a bunker oil heating system. Orientation on the tender varies (as can be seen in the pics). Anyone ideas?

ATSF #1.JPG
ATSF #1.JPG (22.85 KiB) Viewed 723 times

ATSF #2.JPG
Cowford

Re: ATSF tenders

Postby Pat Fahey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi Cowford
My guess it looks like a fire hose, housing, maybe the engine was in this type of service, with a fire Train. May I suggest you post the same photos and article on Railway Preservation news. http://www.rypn.org interchange.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing a comma from the url. JP
Pat Fahey

Postby Cowford » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Mr Fahey, that was certainly not the answer I expected! But very much appreciate your input. I googled and confirmed it... interesting as I've never seen any other road's tenders so equipped.

Thanks again.
Cowford

Postby John_Perkowski » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 am

The Santa Fe ran (since it's now BNSF) in some of the most arid climates in the nation. Look at the vegetation of Arizona. Look at the cropland bordering the tracks in Colorado and Kansas.

Being able to help put out a trackside fire would be a very good thing.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby Cowford » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

That's certainly true, but from what (little) I've found on the subject, mostly engines in yard service were so equipped. And they were oil burners, which don't create the same fire hazard as a coal-fired locomotive.
Cowford

Return to Steam Locomotives