Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Postby BR&P » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:18 pm

thebigham wrote:I saw pics on Facebook this week of the R&S at Silver Springs in daylight. Anyone know of a good time to catch them?

(I know I ask this question each winter! lol)

Yesterday they went north by DL&W Jct ballpark noon.
BR&P

Postby Matt Langworthy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:35 am

According to a member of the Rochester area RR group on FB, the R&S was at Silver Springs around 8 AM a few days ago. Four GP40s were powering the train in the photos he posted.

I also saw NS local H52 making a drop at Silver Springs on January 28th shortly after 8 AM. On that day, the crew told dispatch the cars were ready for pick-up by the R&S. I didn't stick around (due to lake effect snow), but the dispatcher did say the R&S had a train due to arrive shortly afterward.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby charlie6017 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Matt Langworthy wrote:According to a member of the Rochester area RR group on FB, the R&S was at Silver Springs around 8 AM a few days ago. Four GP40s were powering the train in the photos he posted.

I also saw NS local H52 making a drop at Silver Springs on January 28th shortly after 8 AM. On that day, the crew told dispatch the cars were ready for pick-up by the R&S. I didn't stick around (due to lake effect snow), but the dispatcher did say the R&S had a train due to arrive shortly afterward.

Does anyone have updated info on R&S operations? I would like to get out early one morning and get photos up and
down the line. Anywhere between Rochester and Silver Springs.

Thanks in advance! 😎

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
charlie6017

Postby BR&P » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Charlie, last night I was at the race track at Limerock and heard R&S go through but could not say which direction. Ballpark 6PM but did not check my time so could be off by an hour either way.

Have not been out to our other place near DL&W Jct often enough to say when they go through there lately. For a while they were going south early afternoon but that may have changed.
BR&P

Postby Scott K » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm frequently in Scottsville around 5:30, and have heard them headed south, so I'd assume that was the direction if you heard them around 6:00 at Limerock. There's also another, earlier train, some days through Scottsville around 1;30 PM.

Scott K.
Scott K

Postby charlie6017 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks Gentlemen, much appreciated!! 🍻

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
charlie6017

Postby thebigham » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 am

The salt mine train leaves Rochester around 1pm.

I'd like to photograph a train south of LeRoy, but no one seems to know when the Silver Springs train operates.
thebigham

Postby BR&P » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm

thebigham wrote:The salt mine train leaves Rochester around 1pm.

I'd like to photograph a train south of LeRoy, but no one seems to know when the Silver Springs train operates.

No idea whether this is typical or not, but a couple days ago the train was southbound at DL&W Jct ballpark 5PM.
BR&P

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan