Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

Postby Matt Langworthy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 am

ctclark1 wrote:I concur with BR&P. I don't think any block signals would cause a train to stop on the bridge.

I also agree. IMO, dispatch would have a westbound train on the bridge proceed to Silver Springs and wait there.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby thebigham » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:01 pm

New John Kucko pics
Attachments
letchworth140.jpg
"1875" dated bridge material is to the right of the car
letchworth141.jpg
letchworth142.jpg
Notice the abutment has been removed for the new park road
thebigham

Postby KevinD » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:14 am

Explosive charges brought down the eastern-most of the 2 remaining trusses this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnKuckoDigit ... 454790067/
KevinD

Postby thebigham » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 am

New John Kucko pictures
Attachments
letchworth155.jpg
letchworth150.jpg
thebigham

Postby Matt Langworthy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 am

Speaking of Mr. Kucko, he had a great presentation at the RGVRRM annual dinner this past Saturday. It mostly featured the Letchworth viaduct. When he stated Norfolk Southern's plans to raise the speed limit on the bridge from 25 mph to 35 mph, I did raise the subject of automated gates to keep trespassers of the new bridge. As per John- while gates were considered early in the planning stages for the new bridge, they were deemed impractical due to heavy winter snowfall. Given the amount of snow we've gotten this winter (and other winters in the past), I can definitely understand his point.
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Postby C2629 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:19 am

Since the great majority of tresspassing on the bridge takes place in the warmer months, would it be advantages to have gates from say April first to December first ?
C2629

Postby Matt Langworthy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

C2629 wrote:Since the great majority of tresspassing on the bridge takes place in the warmer months, would it be advantages to have gates from say April first to December first ?

I thought about same thing while driving from the dinner to my gig (to photograph a local band). I'm guessing seasonal gates were probably part of the planning discussions for the new bridge, but I will ask John about them anyway.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Postby Scott K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

Matt, if you mean John K, while you're at it, ask him if he knows anything about the PRR ROW/Greenway. I haven't noticed a single word about it from him. You'd think he'd say something about it sometime, since it runs underneath his favorite bridge.
Scott K

Postby Matt Langworthy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Is there something specific about the Greenway you want me to ask him? FWIW, John seems to be more interested in active RR lines than trails.
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Postby thebigham » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:24 pm

John Kucko pic

"Fading Fast: Explosives bring down huge part of 1875 rail trestle here at Letchworth SP this afternoon. 60 ton truss and 20 ton tower collapse into the gorge. They'll be removed immediately. All that remains is one tower. Heavy snow hampered efforts to get footage. There may be a GoPro angle I'll post later."
Attachments
letchworth160.jpg
thebigham

Postby Scott K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Matt Langworthy wrote:Is there something specific about the Greenway you want me to ask him? FWIW, John seems to be more interested in active RR lines than trails.

Oh, nothing I need you to ask about, I just wondered if he was aware that it was an old ROW. Don't know if he's interested in historical lines or the old canal, but thought he might have mentioned it sometime on his page if he knew about it.
Scott K

Postby smph50 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Hello all!

This afternoon, the http://www.trainweb.org/wnyhdc/hdc18.htm#mar18 Heritage DiscoveRY Center Buffalo took possession of one of the main bridge support bases from the historic Erie Railroad Portageville Bridge. We want to thank the Norfolk Southern Corp for making the arrangements for the HDC to preserve a piece of this 143 year old bridge at the museum. Also Thanks to member Lynn Heintz for making the contacts with the railroad to save this historic artifact. If you look closely at the base of the support, you will see the 1875 date plate on the support as it is unloaded from the truck. Once the weather breaks, we will prepare a permanent display on the museum grounds. Also thanks to Stephen Grekulak for providing the photos of the unloading.

Joe Kocsis - President WNYRHS

fsPB31518cc.jpg
~Scott H. - Erie (NS) MP-411.7
Western New York Railway Historical Society
smph50

Postby MarkT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:45 pm

I guess for everyone's info, I went to the park Saturday and all access south of the Perry entrance is closed. IDK if for the construction or more likely just seasonal, but you are not driving up there. I was surprised by that
MarkT

Postby D Alex » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Considering how popular the old bridge was with those who wished to "join the great beyond", I wonder what sort of security the new bridge has?
D Alex

Postby thebigham » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 pm

John Kucko picture:

"The Cleanup: Minutes after the last of the 1875 railroad trestle at Letchworth SP was imploded, ironworkers and operator engineers remove the part of the tower that collapsed into the Genesee River. They will have this done by the end of today. Remarkable what they have done here the last two years."
Attachments
letchworth165.jpg
thebigham

PreviousNext

Return to New York State Railfan