Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

Postby JoeS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Found it - on Jon Liles' web site - Erie ETT #39

SPRING SWITCHES.
Spring switches are located East and West end Portage Bridge, International Jct., East end of extension track W M Junction, F W Tower and at east end of old main track, west of J U Crossover. Caution must be taken to prevent back up movements, slack running out of trains or taking slack over spring switches before forward movement is completed. If necessary to make such movements switches must be handled by hand. When switching over these switches they must be hand operated.
The spring switches at International Jct., and W M Junction are protected by dwarf signals for trains operating against current of traffic as follows:
Clear indication proceed over switch.
Restricting indication proceed to point of switch then stop, examine points of switch and make sure points are properly set before proceeding. If found out of order, use hand throw switch and restore to normal position after using and immediately report same to the Superintendent.
The spring switches at Portage are protected by color light type dwarf signals for governing reverse movements are located opposite automatic signal 363-2B for eastward movement and opposite automatic signal 359-1B for westward movement. These signals will be inoperative and indicate as follows:--Yellow--Approach dwarf home signal prepared to stop.
Trains moving against current of traffic on clear indication will proceed over spring switches not to exceed 20 miles per hour.

Sorry for the digression from the main topic, but the method of operation described above allowed a single track bridge to handle double track traffic.
Joe
JoeS

Postby ctclark1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:37 pm

RRpicturearchives was throwing 403 errors last night, it is back up now and I found the one I was thinking of. Correct photographer, however I was mistaken in that it was a PC locomotive, but it was just a little over a year after C-Day, so it was in fact a Conrail train. http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2858027

States it was taken in '77, and specifically mentions both that there was no 10mph limit yet, and the spring switch leading westbound onto the bridge.
ctclark1

Postby thebigham » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 am

Another John Kucko pic
Attachments
aa1.png
thebigham

Postby BR&P » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:41 am

Here's a story which might bring a smile. It pertains to the old bridge, not the new. As a young kid, I was obsessed with trains, and maintained a log book, broken down by railroad, of engine numbers. I also had a younger sister, and the 5 year difference was the grounds for typical sibling rivalry and bickering at times.

So one day the folks took us to Letchworth for a picnic, and while there, an EL freight went by pulled by a single Geep. I got the binoculars and checked out the power. So pesky little sis decided she wants to be just like me and record the engine number. Harmless of course but creepy big brother resented it. She asked, I resisted...and finally one of our parents ordered me to be nice and give her the number. Defeated! But wait!!!!!! I did a double take as an idea hit me.

In a bored, singsong voice, I replied "one...two...three...four". Immediately Sis howled, and both parents told me to shape up and be serious. Trying to conceal a smirk, in wounded hurt manner, I held up my book, showing several EL Geeps in the 1200 series and at the bottom, the latest entry - 1234!

See - I was an azzole even back then! Image
BR&P

Postby JoeS » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:41 pm

ctclark1 wrote:RRpicturearchives was throwing 403 errors last night, it is back up now and I found the one I was thinking of. Correct photographer, however I was mistaken in that it was a PC locomotive, but it was just a little over a year after C-Day, so it was in fact a Conrail train. http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2858027

States it was taken in '77, and specifically mentions both that there was no 10mph limit yet, and the spring switch leading westbound onto the bridge.

Here is the one I was remembering, posted in the Rochester Area Railfans Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

It was posted by John Barlow and was taken in May 1976 at pretty much the same location, only pointing toward the bridge.

Maximum speed limit in the Erie and E-L days was 30 mph across the viaduct.
Joe
JoeS

Postby thebigham » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:34 am

1st pic from Ken Wallace

2nd pic from Eagle Photography
Attachments
letchworth31.jpg
letchworth20.jpg
thebigham

Postby RMB357 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 pm

That second shot really shows how massive the infrastructure is on the new bridge compared to the old. It's going to look awesome when they paint it. Any confirmation on a color yet?
RMB357

Postby thebigham » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:30 pm

^I think that's the color it's going to be?!?

Those gray things will be removed.
thebigham

Postby johnpbarlow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 am

thebigham wrote:^I think that's the color it's going to be?!?

Those gray things will be removed.

Thought maybe the gray things would become a pedestrian walkway! :wink:
johnpbarlow

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan