Unfinished Railroads of New York State

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Unfinished Railroads of New York State

Postby Marty Feldner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:01 am

It wasn't easy. but I dug out my paper topos (most of the trolley line, and all of the completed grading that I'm aware of is on the Monticello quad- mine is 1966). No markings for the ROW, and no way to tell from the contour lines; they followed the contours. The section visible from Rt. 42 is on the north side of 'Hill 16', between Kiamesha Lake and South Fallsburgh- it's just south of a high tension power line crossing 42, on the east side of the road; it only extends about 1000 feet. Another remnant is a little further north, where approaches to a bridge over the extreme north end of Pleasure Lake are visible. Both can be seen on Bing Maps, Bird's Eye View (Bird's eye views, where available, were taken when the foliage was down so much more can be seen; they are oblique views that can be rotated- much easier to follow ROW's). Also in South Fallsburgh just south of the former O&W station is a short street, Trolley Road, that leads to the bridge location. (In 1977 Ed Crist and I spent a long day at the Sullivan County Museum in Hurleyville making copy negatives of a large bunch of railroad construction photos- presumably O&W, but nothing was labelled so there could even be some of the trolley line. I have the negatives; they've never been printed beyond contact sheets- there are almost 600 images. Not sure, but the photos may have gone to the O&W archives in Middletown some years later. I may have seen an old map in the museum that showed the proposed line- it was years ago.)

In Wakefield's book, the flown aerial view of the Pleasure Lake bridge approaches is on page 94; the one for the Rt. 42 crossing is page 113, and the info he gathered on the whole endeavor is pages 104-109. Try a google search for 'Fallsburgh Monticello Trolley' (with the 'h'); it brought up several book and newspaper references.
Marty Feldner

Postby RussNelson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:46 am

Awesome! Thanks so much, Marty. I looked around using Bing Birds-eye as you suggested, and found very clear traces exactly where you said they would be. I also found railbed on the west side of NY-42.

I added acknowledgement and links here: http://russnelson.com/unfinished-railro ... RailroadCo
RussNelson

Postby RussNelson » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:42 pm

I was on Long Island and went looking for the Hicksville & Cold Spring branch. Found it. Link to my pics at the end of http://russnelson.com/unfinished-railro ... ngRailroad
RussNelson

Postby dj_paige » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:38 am

Speaking as someone who grew up in Hicksville, I found that to be fascinating. I knew all about the existing two branches of the LIRR that merge together in Hicksville, but never knew there was another branch planned.

I would like to point out that the town involved is today named Cold Spring Harbor, not Cold Spring (which appears to be a town on the Hudson across from West Point). Maybe there was a time in the past where this town on Long Island was named Cold Spring, and maybe the branch was properly known as Cold Spring and not Cold Spring Harbor. Anybody know for sure?
Paige
"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance" -- LeAnn Rimes
My Flickr Photos
dj_paige

Postby RussNelson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 pm

There's a placename "Cold Spring" which is on the LIRR just south of Cold Spring Harbor, on the old USGS maps. It might simply be the name of the station there.
RussNelson

Postby RussNelson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:00 pm

I posted this under its own topic, but maybe I should have posted it here (unfinished bridges over the St. Lawrence):
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=160556
RussNelson

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan