B&H 4, B&H 5, LAL 14 Scrapped

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

BR&P

Re: FYI..... B&H #4

Post by BR&P » Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 pm

NYCRRson wrote: How long did that white coat stay white, did you make it through the day without a grease/oil/dirt smudge ?
I guess we're pretty far from B&H #4 but you might enjoy this one anyway.

One cold February night in 1980 the Ontario Midland second trick crew was headed east toward Hannibal in a heavy snowstorm. Somewhere between Red Creek and their destination, in the middle of nowhere the engine derailed on an iced-up farm crossing. Although not off too bad, the engine could not back itself on. The crew was finally picked up and driven to Sodus, leaving old #36 idling away to prevent freeze damage.

The next day the track crew chipped the ice and snow away, and a local bulldozer was brought in with a stout cable to help. Around mid-day things were ready. When the signal was given, the bulldozer pulled and the engineer gave the loco a few notches of throttle.

Unfortunately that engine had Mahle pistons, which were fine as long as you worked the engine hard but they did not like to idle (plus the loco was quite a while out of its last rebuild). 36 had been sitting there about 12 hours in cold temps, and when awakened from its snooze it gave a pretty good imitation of the Spindletop oil gusher. The General Manager was standing in just the wrong spot, wearing a coat similar to mine, and before he knew what was happening, he looked like a Dalmatian!

The company wound up buying him a new coat! :P

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of B&H 4!

danmeckstroth

Re: B&H 4, B&H 5, LAL 14 Scrapped

Post by danmeckstroth » Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm

I would like permission to use one pic of #4 being cut up for the Nickel Plate Road Historical and Technical Society monthly electronic newsletter that goes to members only. How should the credit be listed?

Also, what does B & H stand for?
I understand the engine was damaged in a switching accident which bent the frame. If that is the case, it had to be one heck of a bmp.

Otto Vondrak

Re: FYI..... B&H #4

Post by Otto Vondrak » Fri May 24, 2019 3:52 pm

thebigham wrote:B&H #5 and LAL #14 may have been scrapped in Cohocton. Waiting for confirmation...
Do I have my units mixed up? I can't find a listing for LAL 14, but have LAL 15:

15 S2 73924 2/47 Ex-Tioga Central 14 < CR 9662< nee Buffalo Creek

Also, did we confirm B&H 5 was cut as well?

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

scottychaos

Post by scottychaos » Fri May 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Otto,
The former Tioga Central No. 14 has always been referred to as LAL No.14, since it moved to Cohocton from Wellsboro four years ago. Never seen it called #15 anywhere before. (Just curious, where did you find a reference to #15?)

No, there has been no conformation that No. 14 or No. 5 have been cut. All photos here and on facebook have only shown No. 4 in pieces.

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages

scottychaos

Post by scottychaos » Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 pm

I just googled it, and found a reference to LAL 15 on "the diesel shop"

https://www.thedieselshop.us/LAL.HTML" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It must be just a typo. ;) a mistake, because the locomotive itself has been saying all along that it is LAL 14, and it has never changed since it arrived in Cohocton.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/689215/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6QCL3N3g4wTAFzZG6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages

lvrr325

Post by lvrr325 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Okay, let's get a price on those other two so someone can work on preservation.

BR&P

Post by BR&P » Tue May 28, 2019 5:11 pm

danmeckstroth wrote: I understand the engine was damaged in a switching accident which bent the frame. If that is the case, it had to be one heck of a bmp.
Wrong NKP loco, you are thinking of 418, ex NKP 865

thebigham

Post by thebigham » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Lance Meyers visited the B&H recently:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lrmyers/a ... 8076143203

Pic of #5 and #14:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lrmyers/4 ... 064837012/

Is there any business in Cohocton?

BR&P

Post by BR&P » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Looks like the former ONCT ballast car, still with faded "Amtrak" visible, in the second link Chris provided.

Return to “New York State Railfan”