Naples to Canandaigua by rail: 1914

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Naples to Canandaigua by rail: 1914

Postby twinship » Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 am

Hypothetical question; If it was about 1914, could I travel from Naples, NY to Canandaigua by rail in any practical amount of time? I know I'd have to take the LVRR Naples branch, but all the way to Geneva or could I board a PRR train in Stanley? Could I get the Rochester and Eastern interurban somewhere? i don't know what the schedules were for the respective railroads. Of course, in those days maybe the most practical route was via steamboat down the lake, as long as it wasn't winter! Horse and buggy? Seems a long,hilly trip, but maybe...
Auto? Don't know what the roads would be like.
twinship

Re: Naples to Canandaigua by rail: 1914

Postby scottychaos » Wed May 02, 2018 12:25 pm

It would be fairly easy:
Naples to Stanley on the LV, then PRR to Canandaigua.
Both lines would have had passenger service in 1914..dont know about the specifics of timetables though.
but it could be done, and likely was done by people a lot.

map:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Railroads-3/ ... K-1908.gif

Although the road up either side of the lake is more direct.
a little early for the automobile era, but the "peoples car" Ford Model T was becoming affordable, although ownership of a car wasnt yet common..
but its the 20th century, im sure several options were available by road..

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages
scottychaos

Postby RailKevin » Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Was it common for railroads to have stations at interchange points? I can see the usefulness of it, but I wonder what kind of facilities one could expect (a building vs. standing by the track).
RailKevin

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 pm

RailKevin wrote:Was it common for railroads to have stations at interchange points? I can see the usefulness of it, but I wonder what kind of facilities one could expect (a building vs. standing by the track).

It depends how busy the two lines were and if there was enough traffic to justify a station.
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby TB Diamond » Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 pm

You most certainly could board the Rochester & Eastern Rapid Railway in Canandaigua for service to either Rochester or Geneva.
You can't go home again- Thomas Wolfe
TB Diamond

Postby twinship » Thu May 03, 2018 3:53 am

The issue of stations was what I was wondering about as well. Apparently, according to a couple of sources,there was a passenger station in Stanley when the branch was the Middlesex Valley Railroad , but at least one source indicated there was none when it became the LVRR. However, the PRR did have a passenger station in Stanley, so it might make sense for the LV to use it as well. At least no one was standing in the yard waiting to go to Canandaigua or Sodus Bay or south to Naples. The stated purpose of the branch was to haul produce (grapes!) from Naples, and tourists to Naples.
twinship

Postby lvrr325 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 pm

scottychaos wrote:Although the road up either side of the lake is more direct.
a little early for the automobile era, but the "peoples car" Ford Model T was becoming affordable,

Scot

The Volkswagen is the "people's car"; the term had not been coined in 1914. Mass production had only just begun for these cars.

it's likely there was a coach of some sort that could be taken but in that era a train or interurban would be the most likely means of transport.

The LV and West Shore had more or less a shed where the Earlville branch of the WS crossed the EC&N, so it's likely there was some small facility in Stanley as well.
lvrr325

Postby ExCon90 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:40 pm

The December 1913 issue of the Official Guide (1600 pages crammed with the smallest type visible to the naked eye, 2 - 3/4 " thick) shows the following:

Lv Naples ..................... 6.55 am ..........12.40 pm
Ar Stanley .................... 7.57 am ........... 1.42 pm
...............same station
Lv Stanley .....................12.14 pm ...........3.22 pm
Ar Canandaigua .............. 12.35 pm ...........3.45 pm

Lv Canandaigua ............... 8.00 am ............1.20 pm
Ar Stanley ......................8.20 am ............1.45 pm

Lv Stanley ......................9.30 am ............7.35 pm
Ar Naples ......................10.30 am ...........8.35 pm

The LV trains ran daily except Sunday; the PRR had 4, some daily, but with nothing to connect to at Stanley.

(How times change -- the LV listing was pages 376-386; the PRR System had 419-520, and no "white space.")
ExCon90

Postby twinship » Sat May 05, 2018 4:46 am

Thank you! Kind of a long wait at Stanley for a train to Cdga. All the way to Geneva and change to R&E to Cdga might have been faster. The talk about Model T's reminds me of my grandfather's tales of Model T days (I think Model T!). No fuel pump, gravity feed only so he had to back up sizable hills. The route into Naples might have been challenging!
twinship

Postby Windseeker1 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:10 pm

For some reason, this topic reminded me of the old joke:

A harried salesman runs up to the station agent and exclaims “I’ve got to get to Chicago in the worst way!“ The station agent replied “Oh, then you want to take the Erie!“. (Drum rim shot)
Windseeker1

Postby BR&P » Sat May 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Windseeker1 wrote:For some reason, this topic reminded me of the old joke:

A harried salesman runs up to the station agent and exclaims “I’ve got to get to Chicago in the worst way!“ The station agent replied “Oh, then you want to take the Erie!“. (Drum rim shot)

One good laugh deserves another (altho not rail-related)

I played a private party one night, loaded up the gear and headed home. Cop pulled me over for speeding.

I told him "Go easy on me, I'm just a poor musician."

The cop said "I know! I've heard you play!" Image
BR&P

Postby D Alex » Sat May 05, 2018 3:59 pm

twinship wrote:Thank you! Kind of a long wait at Stanley for a train to Cdga. All the way to Geneva and change to R&E to Cdga might have been faster. The talk about Model T's reminds me of my grandfather's tales of Model T days (I think Model T!). No fuel pump, gravity feed only so he had to back up sizable hills. The route into Naples might have been challenging!

Yes, you might've done better hitching a ride on a hay wagon!
D Alex

Return to New York State Railfan