PC local, Monroe County early 1972 ID

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: PC local, Monroe County early 1972 ID

Postby NYCRRson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 pm

"UNLOAD FROM THIS SIDE ONLY"

Reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy skit where they are building a house.... Laurel picks up a nail and hammers it in place.... Picks up the next nail and throws it away...

After a couple of times Hardy asks him what he's doing throwing the nails away.... Laurel says "The heads are on the wrong end of the nail, I can't use them"... Hardy says "Well don't just throw them away, we'll use them on the other side of the house"....

Sounds like the customer should have built another factory on the other side of the tracks to make things more convenient for the railroad.....
NYCRRson

Postby BR&P » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Well, they DID have another track on the opposite side of the factory, but that was for loading outbound scrap paper, not bringing in the new rolls.
BR&P

Postby pumpers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am

NYCRRson wrote:Reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy skit where they are building a house.... Laurel picks up a nail and hammers it in place.... Picks up the next nail and throws it away...
After a couple of times Hardy asks him what he's doing throwing the nails away.... Laurel says "The heads are on the wrong end of the nail, I can't use them"... Hardy says "Well don't just throw them away, we'll use them on the other side of the house"....

That was one of the two favorite jokes of my late father, who was a kid in the 1930's. His other one (to stay on a RR topic) was "what did the two morons say to each other while walking down the RR tracks?" The first said "it sure is a long staircase." The second replied "It's the low banisters that bother me". Wonder if he got that one from Laurel and Hardy too.
pumpers

Postby BR&P » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Re that wye at Newark - not 100% positive on this but THINK there was an issue with land having been sold off just past the east switch. There was/is a field there and IIRC some land would have had to be purchased to replace the tail track. That was not the ONLY obstacle but certainly did not help the matter. If somebody wants to do some hiking, go see how far past POS the end of track is.
BR&P

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Are the tracks in Newark used for anything anymore?
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Postby BR&P » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Are the tracks in Newark used for anything anymore?

I am out of touch with what's going on there. The last I knew it was only car storage, but that may have changed.
BR&P

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 pm

nydepot wrote:There are a series of unlabeled slides in my collection from Monroe County someplace, taken in early 1972. Do any of the locations look familiar? Thanks.

Charles

002975.jpg

002977.jpg

Newark & Marion. I remember when those slides came up on eBay.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby lvrr325 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

While there's one potential customer there the satellite photos show the tracks empty and most of the other places that were customers are retail or otherwise non-rail use.

Was the bridge over the West Shore/Erie Canal/NY-31 partly removed (as it remains today) by the time OMID came in?
lvrr325

Postby BR&P » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 pm

lvrr325 wrote:Was the bridge over the West Shore/Erie Canal/NY-31 partly removed (as it remains today) by the time OMID came in?

No, it was there. The only real potential traffic down there was Halligan Furniture. I know an OMID engine was taken down there one time for a marketing call, to show them we COULD provide service. I don't think that ever happened, or if it did it was only one car.

Palmer Distributing (IIRC) had 2 former Fruit Growers Express reefers on their spur for use as storage. They had been partly underwater somewhere in Hurricane Agnes if I understand, and were sold off to Palmer before OMID came along. One of those was sold just before the track was abandoned, and the proud new owner rode the hind ladder across the various bridges as the last person to cross the bridges on a train. :P BTW, the car is now in Victor. If anybody wants their very own reefer, I'll make you a hell of a deal! Image No refrigeration equipment any more but would make a great shed.

(It should be noted that while OMID began operations 10-01-1979, they did not take over the Newark traffic until 2 or 3 years later - ballpark 1982 but I'd have to look it up for an exact date.)
BR&P

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 am

One of the two cars on the old outbound Victor Insulator lead, with the two cabooses?

... if I thought I could get it to Martisco without a huge hassle and expense....
lvrr325

Postby BR&P » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:42 am

Well, physically the tracks go all the way from Victor to Martisco. Car is on roller bearing trucks and has all safety appliances. Air is out of date.

I'll let you decide what "without a huge hassle and expense" is. I'd also sell the LV 40 foot boxcar it that's of interest.
BR&P

Postby D Alex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm

lvrr325 wrote:One of the two cars on the old outbound Victor Insulator lead, with the two cabooses?

... if I thought I could get it to Martisco without a huge hassle and expense....

just out of curiosity, does Victor Insulators still ship by rail? That old remnant of the LVRR looks like it hasn't seen a train since the snow started falling.
D Alex

Postby BR&P » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm

I noticed a car there Tuesday. If I understand correctly, VI leases a couple PD cars and sends them out empty to be loaded up and brought back. One source estimated they get a couple cars a month. A far cry from the 80's when there were never less than 5 or 6 cars there, and they were unloading a couple cars a day.
BR&P

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan