Rare move at Fitzpatrick nuke plant 12/15/17

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Rare move at Fitzpatrick nuke plant 12/15/17

Postby nessman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 pm

The Fitzpatrick nuclear plant east of Oswego saw an extremely rare move on it's plant trackage recently. A ShuttleWagon was brought in to move a pair of flat cars that have been sitting on a landlocked siding outside the plant for 20+ years. They were pushed inside the plant where their covered loads were removed using a heavy lift crane inside the building. One of the covers was repurposed as salt shed. The flat cars had their trucks removed and trucked out, along with the flat cars.

Tracks at Fitzpatrick and Nine Mile Point have been inaccessible to the rail network for many years - crossings paved over, and tracks into the plant severed and blocked by large concrete blocks or removed altogether. Just a reminder that both plants are private property, no trespassing signs are posted at the entrances and only employees and visitors with pre-authorization are permitted on the grounds.
nessman

Re: Rare move at nuke plant

Postby RussNelson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm

I always wonder why equipment gets left at a location like that. I guess the intention is always to remove it ... sooner or later. Then the brush starts to grow up and the ties rot and the crossings get paved over.

Here's the two covered flatcars.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Osweg ... 76.5104973
RussNelson

Re: Rare move at nuke plant

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 am

Flats are visible in Google satellite pictures. Spare equipment that was never unloaded. Tracks inside the plant are mostly clear. Line in appears to be cut at crossings past the last active customer, otherwise intact.
lvrr325

Re: Rare move at Fitzpatrick nuke plant 12/15/17

Postby Fireman43 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 pm

In trying to follow the ROW from these plants, appears to connect with the Ontario and Western ROW? Seems most of the rails still in place even further east. Then as it heads back toward Oswego, the same ROW appears to actively serve Novelis........ , then when it reaches the Oswego Parks Dept at the "Y" am I correct the abandoned ROW for the O & W continues past Fort Ontario , then up to the city to connect with the Harbor Rail Trail and bridge across the River?

I see someone also referenced that Rail Trail Bridge to being NYC???

And why did I think that ROW was the Rome Watertown and Ogdensburg???? I don't see any reference to the O and W being absorbed by the RW&O / NYC.

I'm even more confused as I wrote this.

thanks Mark
Fireman43

Postby nessman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Flats held turbine fan assemblies that drove the plant's generator. These may have been used and got removed for some reason and stored on the siding. They're being hauled out by special heavy/wide trailers that are suspending them over the road (kinda neat - custom rigging job). Not sure where they're headed. The flat cars have since left the property.

Sidings into the plant is blocked by security fencing and barriers... that and between the crossings all paved over and the condition of the tracks themselves (poor - rotted ties, etc...)... there's no possible way to haul those out via rail.

The ROW from Lake Road headed east from Novelis is all owned by the nuclear plants and the old Hojack line (former RW&O) ends at the power line ROW where the tracks go north to the plants. It's all mostly overgrown and in poor condition.
nessman

Postby Fireman43 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for the info. As I read a lot of articles on the power plants history I had a bit of a problem following exactly what portion of that complex is still operating and who owns what. I know a lot was dependent upon subsidies to offset losses.
In regards to those parts being moved by specialty trailers, wonder if similar to these turbine blades recently moved via Lewiston bridge from Canada I’m told headed to the Syracuse area. Mostly by back roads. I know via rt 31 east through Orleans County.
Mark
Attachments
DB100969-98E7-4DDA-B5F8-D5719723ED2D.jpeg
Fireman43

Postby lvrr325 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:56 am

ROW below the plant west to the wye is ex-NYC/RW&O. From there west was shared around and down to the O&W stations, then from there NYC only. Line to the south from there is former O&W. Line up to the port is also former O&W. Scar of O&W roundhouse is visible where the wye was.

Aerials show a length of track past the nuclear plant switch, perhaps 100 yards or so left for any switching needed outside of the plant. No way to determine from the ground (without trespassing) if it's still there but I doubt it's been removed. Going to street view at the crossings shows heavily overgrown tracks that if not cut at the crossings are so paved over they'd have to be excavated to use.

It's like the line to the tank farm on the other side, kept for the option of re-use but no real plans to use it, not enough to keep it clear or maintained. If for some reason they needed to move a lot of heavy equipment in and out, perhaps they'd rehab the line for it.
lvrr325

Postby nessman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Both plants are now owned by Exelon Corporation, and all three reactors (Nine Mile 1 & 2, and Fitzpatrick) are operating.

The former Hojack track ends where it jogs north to the plants east of Lake View Road. There's no switch. What you see is tire tracks from ATV's and snowmobiles. The ROW past that has been acquired by other landowners over the years.
nessman

Postby Fireman43 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the update.

In reference to the " Tank Farm" is that the one a few miles south of the Oswego Harbor Power ( NI MO ) in Oswego Center off Rt 20? That appears to be totally land locked . What was the purpose of this farm?

On a side note -Last time I was in Oswego in the mid 80's would the NiMo plant still have been utilizing coal delivered via RR? At that time I was working at Sodus Bay at the Genesee Malt House adjacent to the old Coal Pier where they had loaded coal into freighters for shipment to this power plant. Looking on Google maps I see all remnants of any off loading infrastructure is long gone. Genny had used the Port of Oswego grain elevators on the west side adjacent to the Lee White Maritime Museum. Now even those are gone.

Mark
Fireman43

Postby Fireman43 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:18 pm

This is the link I meant to go with my tank farm query - hopefully works this time.
Unsure how, when I cut and paste a link to a page , to make it a direct link ( highlighted in blue) so one doesn't then have to cut and paste again to a browser.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4036032 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Mark
Fireman43

Postby nessman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Oswego Tank farm isn't "landlocked" - but most of the crossings north of Baldwinsville to the tank farm are paved over. The Oswego Steam Station stopped burning coal decades ago before converting to oil. It is also capable of burning natural gas in one of it's two operating units. The plant is now utilized as a "peaker" plant that only produces electricity during periods of very high demand (i.e., very cold or hot days).
nessman

Return to New York State Railfan