2018 Spring Train Show Season for Upstate New York

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

2018 Spring Train Show Season for Upstate New York

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Train shows for upstate New York for Spring 2018 - dates in italics/blue are not confirmed, but likely based on the weekends the show has previously been held.

January:

1/7 – Buffalo (West Seneca) - TCA Toy Train Show, Ismalia Shrine Center
1/21 – Utica – TTCS 38th annual Utica Train Show, Union Station
1/28 - Buffalo - Trainorama, Pvt. Leonard Post, Walden Ave.
(1/28-1/29 - Amherst Railway Society Hobby Show at the Big E in Springfield MA)

February:

2/4 – Buffalo (Depew) – TTCS Buffalo Snowball Train Show, Polish Falcons
2/11 - Fishkill - Fishkill Model Train and Railroad Hobby Show, Fishkill Rec Center
2/17 – 2/18 – Buffalo (Hamburg) – WNYRHS Winter Train & Toy Show, Erie Co. Fairgrounds
2/24 - Rochester - TCA Toy Train Show, Edgerton Community Center
2/25 – Syracuse (Eastwood) – Syracuse Model Railroad Club annual show (date shows on CNY NMRA site)

March

3/3-3/4 – Rochester – Greenberg Train Show, Dome Center
3/4 - Scranton, PA - Scranton Train Show, Lackawanna Station Hotel
3/10 - Binghamton - Greater Binghamton Regional Train Show
3/10 - Albany - Albany Train Show, Polish Community Center
3/11 - Syracuse (Camillus) - NRHS Train Show, Camillus Fire Dept (NEW EVENT)
3/11 - Bufflao (West Seneca) - TCA Toy Train show, Ismailia Shrine Center
3/18 – Rochester – TTCS Rochester Shamrock Train Show, Eagle Club
3/18 - Kingston - Kingston Model Train and Railroad Hobby Show, Murphy Midtown Center
3/25 - Batavia – GSME Great Batavia Train Show, Genesee Community College

April:

4/8 – Buffalo (N. Tonowanda) – TTCS Spring Into Summer show, Knights Of Columbus
4/8 – Amsterdam – Alco T&HS Rails Along The Mohawk show, Riverfront Center
4/21-4/22 - Ilion - Funtrak Valley Rail Sights, Masonic Temple
4/28-4/29 – Lockport – TTCS/NOME Lockport Train Show, Keenan Center
4/? - Greene - Greene Model Railroad Club Train Show

Unknown:

?/?? -?/? - Webster - W.A.S.P.S./FCTT Train Show

Notes -

I got the 2017 Eastwood mailer about the 17th of December, it can probably count as confirmed.

Appears no TCA Horseheads show since the Greenberg date change, perhaps the venue's not available for a date without a conflict, will watch their website for updates.

Beyond that I think the Greenberg move back to their traditional weekend will end the potential conflicts with Batavia, the N. Tonowanda TTCS and Amsterdam shows.

The Camillus show is new and small, I've only even seen flyers or talked to anyone about it at the November show in Syracuse.

FunTrak's show in Ilion I usually don't see a flyer on before February. Greene, also I typically don't see confirmation on before that.

I put the WASPS show as unknown because until 2017 it had been held usually in early April, but this year was held just after St. Patrick's Day in March, putting it directly opposite another show in town for one of the days and resulting in a low vendor turnout. Were I them I'd move again, but it remains to be seen what comes of it.

It's possible I missed a few, I will add dates as they come in.

I actually already have a number of dates for the fall of 2018, the larger shows already have that sorted out; CNY NRHS, RITMRRC, WNYRHS and a few others.

I personally will likely be at Utica, Hamburg, Eastwood, Greenberg, Binghamton, Camillus, Batavia and Amsterdam. If Ilion and Lockport were one day shows I might do them but neither draws enough of a crowd to warrant staying overnight for while also really being too far of a drive for me to return home.
lvrr325

Re: 2018 Spring Train Show Season for Upstate New York

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 am

I just confirmed Syracuse Model Railroad Club, they're a little behind on their mailers this year.
lvrr325

Postby lvrr325 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 am

Utica show is this weekend. Sold out, nearly 130 tables.

I need to make the March 11 show in Camillus unconfirmed. I've seen or heard nothing since they passed around flyers in November; it's on no calendar of events anywhere including the venue; internet searches and looking at websites comes up with nothing. A Facebook page is free, but they don't even have that. I remember telling them that advertising is the most important thing you can do, but the only advertising I'm aware of are their flyers (not seen at any other show since) and my mention of it here; unless I hear different I'm going to presume their plans fell through or something.
lvrr325

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:22 pm

As a further update people have paid for tables for that Camillus show; the folks running it should know what they're doing, so apparently it will take place.
lvrr325

Postby lvrr325 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm

Set a new sales record for Utica today, both dollars and number of sales. It was packed most of the day. A few stupid good deals floating around too.

I talked to Phil Edwards and found out the story on that Camillus show. It's a fundraiser for the CNY NRHS kind of put together on the side and I guess there was a miscommunication about who's supposed to be putting it out there on the internet. And since most of them all work 40, 50 hours a week nobody else has had time to get to posting it around.

In any case it will happen, they do have a few tables left, I'll likely commit this week. For the price I'd be shocked if I didn't at least make that back.
lvrr325

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Reminder for the Train-o-rama Sunday at the Pvt. Leonard Post in Walden (Buffalo), for those not going to Springfield (and yes, that's a typo up there, that show is Saturday and Sunday).
lvrr325

Postby siliconwafer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:39 am

How big is the Eastwood show?
siliconwafer

Location: Lockport, then Rochester, then Boston, now Syracuse.

Postby lvrr325 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm not sure what the square footage works out to but it's a smaller show; it's in an American Legion hall in an old elementary school building. The main floor sees 15-20 dealers in one large room and two smaller side rooms; in some years they've used all four classrooms on the main floor. The club's two layouts are on the second floor and the Lego group sets up in a room up there also. The biggest issue is the parking lot is tight, possible to have to park on the street nearby if it happens to be busy. The Legion runs a decent food service though.

The vendor mix is mostly local, but it gets some guys who don't do a ton of shows. It gets a good mix of Lionel, HO, N, and railroadiana, new and used items, plus the CNY NRHS has books and kids toys and so forth. It's one of a few shows where I do two tables and put out that much more stuff.

The CNY NMRA has their monthly meeting at this show as well.
lvrr325

Postby lvrr325 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 am

Buffalo Snowball show is today at the Polish Falcons.
lvrr325

Postby metoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:36 pm

very disappointed

show advertised from noon to 3pm

arrived 2:15 ish
took my money
but about 75% - 85% of vendors were packing up

really
either lock the door and not take my money
or wait till about 15 minutes before close of show to pack up

another show i will not frequent in the future
metoo

Postby lvrr325 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 am

That's normal of almost any show. The sales are all in the first three hours or so and after 1:00 you sell virtually nothing. Combine that with it being the big football game day and I would expect guys wanted to get out of there if just to avoid the traffic going to parties and so on.

If you want them to stop, buy some things, is all I can tell you. Or complain and they'd probably have given you the money back.

I actually designed my whole setup so the majority of it packs up in as much time as it takes to take off the table and put on my cart for that exact reason - the faster it's packed the faster I'm gone.
lvrr325

Postby tree68 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 am

lvrr325 wrote:I actually designed my whole setup so the majority of it packs up in as much time as it takes to take off the table and put on my cart for that exact reason - the faster it's packed the faster I'm gone.

It is, indeed, a common thing. When you see the extent of the displays at some of the bigger shows, you almost feel sorry for the vendors because you know it'll be a late night before they put the last box on the truck.

You'll see it with the layouts, as well. An hour or two before the show closes, the yards are emptying and the trains that are running are getting shorter.

The largest portion of our booth is the displays themselves - the literature packs up pretty quickly. But we can't knock the booth down until the final horn.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Reminder that the Winter Hamburg show is this weekend, 10-5 Saturday and 10-4 Sunday.

Sadly, the Buffalo & PIttsburgh GP38-2s I have coming won't be here for another two weeks.
lvrr325

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Well, the Winter Train & Toy show was about average, I've been going out there around seven years and Sunday was a little better but overall about normal. At least the weather was decent. Crowd seemed normal too.

They do a nice job with the advertising here, two different TV stations and at least one radio station were there, and I even saw an ad for it on Accuweather when I was checking the Buffalo area forecast last week.

This weekend will be the TCA show in Rochester on Saturday and Syracuse Model Railroad Club in Eastwood on Sunday.
lvrr325

Return to New York State Railfan