Niagara Falls-Amtrak "signal'

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Niagara Falls-Amtrak "signal'

Postby SST » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I canceled my trip to the Virginia's yesterday [looking for Anzio Annie Rail Gun] and seeing how it was nice out, I took the bike up to Niagara Falls and rode around. While viewing from the Niagara Scenic Pkwy bridge I could see many many signals. I counted at least 10 masts holding an assortment of signals [All vador]. In the distance, I could see CSX classifying tank cars. I thought maybe he would cross the gorge but no luck. He had flashing yellow lights on top of the unit......doesn't this mean remote controlled? I rode my bike to the Highland Ave bridge [marvelous neighborhood] to try and get a better view of CSX movements but he was finished by the time I got there.

Looking west from the bridge was the Amtrak station in good view. The track beneath me and all the switches were set for an arriving train to the station. All signals were solid red for eastbound traffic. But this signal in the photo is Red over Clear and I assume it is westbound traffic into the station. I didn't wait for the train. It was getting late and I didn't want to stay in that area.

SST

Re: Niagara Falls-Amtrak "signal'

Postby charlie6017 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm

That's a limited-clear, which is the best signal that particular mast can give -- since this track is connecting
to the main. Once a train moves from this track, it has a clear signal until it reaches the next block signal on the main.

(**Caveat**) I'm not a railroader, so if someone with railroad experience can expand, feel free. 😎

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
charlie6017

Postby tree68 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 pm

And that's why the top head only has one lamp...
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:49 pm

As nearly as I can tell from the photo, it looks like the bottom head only has one other color. If it's yellow, for Medium Approach or Restricting, does that mean that Stop is red over dark? It's provided for in the NORAC rules, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
ExCon90

Postby ctclark1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm

It's probably only capable of Limited Clear or Stop.
ctclark1

Postby ExCon90 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Is it possible that the next signal after this one is so close that they wouldn't want to let a train enter the main unless the next signal displays Approach or better? That would account for it.

I just took another look at the signal at the extreme left; apparently it can't do better than Limited Clear either.
ExCon90

Postby SST » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm

I thought the signal on the far left was red over red. But after looking at my photo, now I'm no so sure as the upper signal looks dark.
SST

Postby NYCRRson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Speaking of Amtrak and signals in Niagara Falls, my Dad was a engineer on Amtrak back in the 80's. Left that station early on a Saturday headed to Syracuse (end of the crew's run back then) and got a little ways past the NF yard and made the turn onto the Niagara Falls Branch (Buff-NF) and came upon a STOP signal. They had hired a contractor to help install welded rail and the contractor had hauled some rail up and over the active track and lowered it onto the rails, then went home for the weekend.

The rail shorted out the circuit (good thing). Dad called the dispatcher with the news, and the dispatcher said; "you have permission to pass that STOP signal", Dad said; you don't understand...

Delayed the train almost 2 hours until they got a crew with a backhoe and cutting torches to chop the welded rain and pull it out of the way...

Cheers, Kevin
NYCRRson

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

SST wrote:I thought the signal on the far left was red over red. But after looking at my photo, now I'm no so sure as the upper signal looks dark.

It could just be the camera angle--hard to tell with that shroud.
ExCon90

Postby tree68 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Took a look at the satellite view. Just out of sight is the bridge across the gorge. The restriction may have something to do with that....

N 43 6' 36" W 79 3' 4"
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Return to New York State Railfan