Erie photo location

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Erie photo location

Postby JoeS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks, Charlie.

Here I was thinking that Ashland referred to the city in Ohio, on the Erie's Marion Division. But from the drift of the conversation it appeared Ashland was some crossing or tall telephone pole along the line near Elmira/Big Flats/Corning. Or some other place in the "western half of New York State" encompassing WNY, CNY, and Finger Lakes region as well as much of the Southern Tier.
Joe
JoeS

Postby charlie6017 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 pm

JoeS wrote:Thanks, Charlie.

Here I was thinking that Ashland referred to the city in Ohio, on the Erie's Marion Division. But from the drift of the conversation it appeared Ashland was some crossing or tall telephone pole along the line near Elmira/Big Flats/Corning. Or some other place in the "western half of New York State" encompassing WNY, CNY, and Finger Lakes region as well as much of the Southern Tier.

When I think of "Ashland", my first thoughts also go the one in Ohio. As for the area in question, I assume maybe this
is someplace that is known as Ashland along the railroad by locals. But a basic online search turned up a short distance west
of the Hudson River. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then again, I think there's 3 or 4 different "Unionville's" across NY State (and Long Island)!

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
charlie6017

Postby BR&P » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I suspect it's another case of Matt being just a little mixed up. OPSL from 1955 shows no Ashland NY served by rail. There IS an Ashville NY on the Erie, west of Salamanca a ways. Perhaps that's what he meant?
BR&P

Postby KevinD » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm

JoeS wrote:I don't see any hills in the background so I have a hard time believing this is in western NY. I looked at the double track segment through Alden but the poles are on the wrong side (assuming the picture is looking westbound) and the Buffalo line had been single-tracked by then.

I would guess Ohio or Indiana, maybe PA? It doesn't "feel" WNY to me.

I'm with you. Lack of distant hills puts it somewhere out west of Marion OH.

There is the town(ship) of Ashland that runs from Southport east to the Lowman/Wellsburg area, but there is a hill on the west side of that tangent area.

Ashland OH was in the hilly eastern part of Ohio and was in the area where the EB and WB mains ran grade separated for better EB grades.

Ashville NY was a late line relocation, so the geography of the line is long cuts interlaced with long fills. Don't see either here.

Erie E-8s always had the bug deflectors, so this could be aboard an E-8 somewhere west of Marion.
KevinD

Postby lvrr325 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:34 am

No distant hills in this Google street view pic looking west on I-86 in Big Flats.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1426827 ... 312!8i6656
lvrr325

Postby JoeS » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:40 pm

I don't think it can be Big Flats. I looked at the 1953 Elmira topo map and - while there is a road that crosses the ROW and has buildings in about the right location - the map shows the Erie and DL&W right of ways side by side at that crossing. And there is no evidence of an abandoned ROW in the picture.

The road in question seems to be a private road for Big Flats Plant Materials Center.

Also, looking for possible crossings in Ashland (NY) there don't seem to be any that would offer photo opportunities without having a hill in the picture.
Joe
JoeS

Postby johnpbarlow » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:24 am

Based on photos I've seen of EL in Big Flats, the code line poles had only three cross-pieces, not the four shown here. A possible location (perhaps one of many) is west of Huntington (e, Bippus) Indiana where the pole line had four cross pieces in some places?
johnpbarlow

Postby Matt Langworthy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am

JoeS wrote:Where exactly is Ashland?

It is east of Elmira, and surrounds the village of Wellsburg. The Route 427 crossing is in Ashland.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby Matt Langworthy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:49 am

JoeS wrote:Also, looking for possible crossings in Ashland (NY) there don't seem to be any that would offer photo opportunities without having a hill in the picture.

East of Stanley Roberts Road in Ashland, the ROW swings away from the hills and out into the valley, which is fairly broad there. It would be possible to get a shot without the hills if the photographer zooms in on the approaching train. The crossing could be a simple farm road, which may or may not still exist.
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Postby Old & Weary » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:18 am

I have no idea where this is but the crossing appears to have flashers and the utility poles running along the road have two cross arms loaded with lines indicating a number of dwellings somewhere on the other side. The crossing may have been a candidate for elimination at some point in the past since it appears to cross at an angle and therefor not a good arrangement for a road and a mainline but otherwise should still be there.
Old & Weary

Postby nydepot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks for everyone's replies. It appears from these replies it's the Erie's west end. At least I can label the photo a little bit, rather than just 1960. Thanks again.
nydepot

Postby JoeS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:41 pm

nydepot wrote:Thanks for everyone's replies. It appears from these replies it's the Erie's west end. At least I can label the photo a little bit, rather than just 1960. Thanks again.

I was wondering if "NY" referred to the train and not the location.

Matt Langworthy wrote:
JoeS wrote:Also, looking for possible crossings in Ashland (NY) there don't seem to be any that would offer photo opportunities without having a hill in the picture.

East of Stanley Roberts Road in Ashland, the ROW swings away from the hills and out into the valley, which is fairly broad there. It would be possible to get a shot without the hills if the photographer zooms in on the approaching train. The crossing could be a simple farm road, which may or may not still exist.

Gotcha, however I thought it was agreed that the photo was taken looking westbound and the pole line east of Elmira was on the north side of the ROW?
Joe
JoeS

Postby Matt Langworthy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes, that is agreed. My comment apply to a train traveling in either direction, east of Stanley Roberts Road.
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Postby lvrr325 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:00 am

Could try posting it to one of the EL groups on Facebook.
lvrr325

Postby sd80mac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 am

Don't know if it's Ashland.... I looked at Google map and it have abandoned trackbed on north side. Photo does not show any DLW tracks next to Erie's track on either side... Matt - am I looking at wrong location?
sd80mac

PreviousNext

Return to New York State Railfan